Proton 440

Wolverine

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Vaguely remembered the Proton name when I spotted this little piece at a GW yesterday. Reception in my music room can be a bit difficult at times but this tuner is doing a great job. Very clean sound.

Attachments

• IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 98
I used to sell those and I picked one up a few years ago. Very nice tuner, there are some threads here about it and it is discussed on Tuner Info Center. Good sound quality and excellent at eliminating noise. Build quality is typical Proton/NAD but that one has no known issues apart from segments in the display going dark. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks Raynald.

I think this tuner is going to replace the Sony 333ESg. Much quieter and pulls the local stations in a bit better.

I have seen other references to Proton and NAD. Can anyone here explain what their relationship was?

This has that special noise-reduction circuit, does it not?

I have noticed that very low noise tuners seem to go too far and dull the music.

Anyone else notice this?

I have noticed that very low noise tuners seem to go too far and dull the music.

Anyone else notice this?

This one does have the SNR feature. I have not noticed a dulling effect using it with Elite/VR2 combo.

Anyone else notice this?

Yes, I noticed long ago the usual choice was between good sounding tuners and having noise, or quiet tuners that sounded dead. As you go up the food chain and get to the top tuners you can have good sound with a quiet background, providing you have a decent antenna. The clever SNR on the Proton managed a good performance on both fronts at a reasonable price.

Just to add the Proton 1100 preamp is also very natural and open sounding like the 440.
Very underrated gear IMHO, and certainly worth repairing.

064D0DFD-7B41-4404-9DAD-457F7A2A7EFD.jpeg Timely thread resurrection as I just got a NAD C350 integrated amp and I think the Proton will work well with it.

Last edited:
Sure
1100’s active volume control... basically increases the gain, instead of inserting resistance like normal volume controls
That way you keep transient response, and intermodulation distortion at their lowest levels....
Perhaps this accounts for the natural and open sound..
3C9EC6EB-21CB-40E8-B7AE-D74604AB1308.jpeg 1CC7B524-A976-4C15-ADC2-2CDFE6908E0B.jpeg

Last edited:
I never realized that about mine. Mine has a nasty scratchiness when you rotate the volume that doesn't sound like it's dirty. Sounds more like DC on the pot. I'll have to check out that circuit. In the meantime, I had to snap a couple shots of my 440 lit up.

Proton_440a.jpg

Proton_440c.jpg

Last edited:
A 1100? Might want to check the power supply caps too...
Well the glue, it flows all around the cap, and can cause hum.
Use a small screw driver and tweezers to remove it from around the cap, and so it's not touching the other components, and the jumper wire by the one cap.

I didn't know the 440 had a power light. My 1100 power light is burned out also. But I do have the 1100 service manual. I'll check what you said when I get a chance.

Edit: I don't think the 440 has a power light the way the 1100 does.

Last edited:
I didn't know the 440 had a power light. My 1100 power light is burned out also. But I do have the 1100 service manual. I'll check what you said when I get a chance.

Edit: I don't think the 440 has a power light the way the 1100 does.
Huh, I thought they all had the green light.
I had the 300 system back in the late 80's (till it was lifted-thank good for renters insurance!!), and they all had green power lights.
Sure let me know, I think the Alps is sealed, but can taker a closer look.
The 440 is probably the best sounding proton tuner.
Proton did make a dual mono preamp, hard to find and expensive, but it's supposedly a set up from the 1100-which is a very good sounding unit, especially given the used market price.
I have it driving a H/K PA2400, and as mentioned very natural sounding-not tube, not S.S., just sound great, and very quiet.
I was using a PT2300, also very good sounding, but has a tendency to sound bright at times-not needed with ESS AMT3's and Great Heils!.

Last edited:
The 1100 has a clear translucent "foggy" button backed with green plastic, and then a green "hood" over the actual light bulb. The 440 tuner uses a solid piece of green plastic. I'm going to replace my 1100 bulb with an LED. It would be nice if I could get the 1100 replacement button and adapt it to the 440.

Sure, interesting.
My 1110 is a bit beat up cosmetically but works and sounds great. I have it in my living room system-so it's in a cabinet with a glass door-so no biggy.

Back
Top Bottom