Proton 440

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Wolverine, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

Vaguely remembered the Proton name when I spotted this little piece at a GW yesterday. Reception in my music room can be a bit difficult at times but this tuner is doing a great job. Very clean sound.

Attached Files:

2. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

I used to sell those and I picked one up a few years ago. Very nice tuner, there are some threads here about it and it is discussed on Tuner Info Center. Good sound quality and excellent at eliminating noise. Build quality is typical Proton/NAD but that one has no known issues apart from segments in the display going dark. Let us know how it works out.

3. Wolverine

Thanks Raynald.

I think this tuner is going to replace the Sony 333ESg. Much quieter and pulls the local stations in a bit better.

I have seen other references to Proton and NAD. Can anyone here explain what their relationship was?

4. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

This has that special noise-reduction circuit, does it not?

I have noticed that very low noise tuners seem to go too far and dull the music.

Anyone else notice this?

5. Wolverine

This one does have the SNR feature. I have not noticed a dulling effect using it with Elite/VR2 combo.

6. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, I noticed long ago the usual choice was between good sounding tuners and having noise, or quiet tuners that sounded dead. As you go up the food chain and get to the top tuners you can have good sound with a quiet background, providing you have a decent antenna. The clever SNR on the Proton managed a good performance on both fronts at a reasonable price.