PS Audio IV Preamp

ab0ez

AB0EZ
I just got a PS Audio PSIV preamp for free. It is complete with external power supply. Does anybody know anything about these units? I'd like to go through it and make sure all is ok and maybe replace power supply caps, etc before I hook it up to any of my amps.
Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
The only thing I remember is that you can use them as a phono stage with volume control or a linestage by flipping a switch. That's kinda cool. And it's time to recap. :D

I think it's the unit I have....

If you pull the cover, and look inside this unit, there's a place to change resistors as to alter the characteristics of the phono stage. You might need to get a set of paired resistors for it.

Do you have a manual?

i have the 4.6 . wonderful preamp. lots of gain .

a common ailment- the rotary switches get sloppy . pots have
clicks that can become loose ,too.

they'll drive anything out there.....max output is around 10volts.

No, I don't have a manual for it, but I sure could use one and a schematic. Good to hear that it as a good amount of gain, especially if I use it to drive pairs of tube amps on each channel.

Last edited:
One curious point about the remote "high current" power supply: No power supply diodes or filter caps, just the power transformer and a fuse. Seems logical to my feeble mind that it might be better to also locate those components in the remote section and away from the high gain stages.

Paul Mcgowan and Stan Warren designed those preamps IIRC. Paul is back with PS Audio and has about 3 or so forums where you can ask questions though of course his emphasis is pushing new product I'm sure. AA has one and there is another I can't remember and this one:

http://boards.psaudio.com/

I am reasonably sure they don't have documents/manuals anymore for your preamp. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply. I tried just that and got, just as you mentioned, the "We lost all of our old manuals, but we have a tech you can send the preamp to...."

Well, I guess I can't blame Paul for trying to get some business.

Hey there! I hate to revive and old thread but I also just got a PS Audio 4.6 and it's a super nice pre. I have a quick question regarding the "resistor" attachments on the circuit board. Do you have to have these in place to use the phono section? There are none attached currently. Can I find replacements?

Resurfacing an old thread.

Folks still need a manaul? I have a copy of one that I can scan. I sent mine in years ago for upgrades and they sent a copy of the manual back with the pre.

Resurfacing an old thread.

Folks still need a manaul? I have a copy of one that I can scan. I sent mine in years ago for upgrades and they sent a copy of the manual back with the pre.

Owners manual or service manual with schematics?

I have scanned the manual into PDF as both 150dpi (3GB) and 300dpi (8.5MB) and they are both too large for AK to accept. Shall I email it to you?

Last edited:
I used to use a PS Audio IV preamp with the high current power supply years ago. I remember it had a switch for passive or active operation. Using the passive setting it sounded very good--quite warm and listenable--fed by a Grado Black cartridge, Grace tonearm, and Thoreans turntable into the built-in phono section connected to a Hafler 150 watt power amp and Infinity RS-II speakers with Monster M1 cabling. I didn't like the active setting of the preamp and never used it as I found it unlistenable, but the passive setting and phono section were really quite nice sounding.

I know I'm a bit late but is it possible to get this manual as well? Only schematics would do too. Everything works except the phono section so I guess this has something to do with these loading resistors?

Now, with or without the amp section, I hear kind of "wind" and some music far away... Worse with the amp "on".

Thanks for any help.

Heck.. i have a 4.6 and I love it/hate it. In straight wire mode it doesn't have much gain at all but sounds better. Running a 20 wpc tube amp i finally gave up on the phono stage altogether. My Sumiko Blue Point #2 is too powerful for MC and too weak for the MM section which is what Sumiko recommends. I finally moved my phono to a Musical Fidelity VLPS and II'm m happy. Maybe it is the resistors.. I have only used the internal switch and didn't see a spot for resistors.

Any way. . If anyone has a copy of the manual. It would be greatly appreciated.

Greeting All!

I too am looking for schematics and/or manual for this preamp. I still haven't actually gotten my paws on it as it is being shipped but I think I should go over it recap, etc. when I do get it.

Cheers
Tom

Back
Top Bottom