1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

PS Audio Sprout100 Integrated. Any opinions?

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by HiFiJeff, Nov 15, 2018.

1. HiFiJeff

HiFiJeff Well-Known Member

I have been on the hunt for new amp for my system and have contemplated the PS Audio Sprout100. I have known about this little all in one integrated amp for awhile now but never really paid much attention to it. Anyone here have experience with it? It's even got a phono input and a subwoofer output! It's a simple all in one solution but if I am not going to get better sound out of it compared to my current Class D amps like the Allo Volt+, then there is no point. It looks interesting though.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier/

upload_2018-11-15_12-50-14.png

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have no personal experience with it, but a) a friend of mine owns one paired with Dali Zensor speakers and likes it - he's had that set up for a few years now, and b) I believe there is an AK thread somewhere dogging the amp. That doesn't help you in the least, I know. But it gets this thread bumped.

EDIT - oh wait is this a new edition of the Sprout? My friend has the old version.

3. HiFiJeff

Can't find that thread or any other thread specifically on the Sprout.

4. bjlefebvre

5. bjlefebvre

Keep in mind that link and this one here were for the original edition. Biggest hang-up some folks had was some weird bass roll-off. PS Audio may (or may not) have changed that for the new version. It definitely looks intriguing. And 30-day audition period is always nice.

6. bjlefebvre

7. HiFiJeff

Well all I keep reading is favorable review after favorable review and this last review might have just hooked me. His last paragraph. Umm..... well I own DW's so there ya go!

upload_2018-11-15_13-42-57.png

kurtgo likes this.
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

I've heard the Sprout 100 a couple of times--it's surprising the amount of good sound that comes out of that small component. If you're not sure about it, order it direct from PS Audio and give it a try for 30 days. https://www.psaudio.com/sprout100/

The phono stage should be quite good (PS Audio's first-ever product was a phono stage), and the onboard DAC, via USB, takes PCM digital up to 384kHz and DSD up to 2X.

9. sirianni

sirianni AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like PS Audio, they make excellent products, I have their NuWave Dac very nice.

10. fredgarvin

fredgarvin AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's another Icepower amp that gets great reviews.

11. Wildcat

The Sprout was Scott McGowan's idea--an audiophile-grade component that didn't compromise sound quality, but kept everything in one tidy package. I have no use for one myself (I only have one room to keep a system in, and I'm set there), but I am still curious to hear it in my current setup. Pair the Sprout100 with a good turntable and a streamer like the UltraRendu or MicroRendu, and it would make a really nice compact system for the money.

12. whyaskit

whyaskit music. Subscriber

If I remember right, I was looking for a small amp recently, the bass anomalies are there in the 100 but they can be defeated. So you can send a flat response out to the speakers.

I has a Sprout. Ended up selling it but really enjoyed it. So much so that I now have a PS Audio phono preamp and a DAC. I wanted to get another small amp and since I’ve owned a few (Rega, the Sprout and Bel Canto). I settled on the another Bel Canto. This is for my living room system.

I wish I had a chance to hear the new 100 but I decided not to worry about having to return if I didn’t like it. Also. I was not psyched about the optical vs the coaxial input. I hope that if you get one. You post your impressions. I really enjoyed the first gen Sprout.

13. Wildcat

It's not really an anomaly--it was a bass boost built into the original Sprout, as they figured many owners would use the Sprout with smaller speakers. But thanks to feedback from Sprout owners, they made it defeatable in the Sprout100, and added a subwoofer output as well (which automatically defeats the bass boost).

fredgarvin likes this.
  14. whyaskit

whyaskit music. Subscriber

a·nom·a·ly
    /əˈnäməlē/
    noun
    1. 1.
      something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected.
      "there are a number of anomalies in the present system"

I would think that flat response the the goal of most amplifier designers. I understand that the bass curve was a design choice. It’s still not the norm.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018