PS can caps, replace or not?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Raul, Apr 14, 2018.

1. mnmmt

mnmmt AK Subscriber Subscriber

That is a lot of messing around (disconnecting the can, figuring out some kind of test setup, reconnecting the can, and then crossing your fingers that two capacitor sections that are 20+ years past their expected life span doesn't fail and nuke the rest of your circuit) to save a few bucks (literally) on a couple new caps. I would spend the few bucks and save a lot of time and messing around to do it right with new caps.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. billyz

billyz Active Member

I completely agree with just changing the power supply Capacitors. By the time you remove them its just as easy to install new ones with a good conscience. The poster wanted to know a way to test them with out a cap tester , i thought. exercise in futility , i know.
    I routinely replace power supply caps, sometimes they seem good and dont manifest the usual hum.
    For example, I just fixed a ticking tremolo circuit in a Fender twin by replacing the power supply caps. I thought it would be something else like lead dress or previous poor quality work, or bad tube. Nope, power supply.