PS Sound Dacs

70'sMusic

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone use one of the PS Audio DACs? If "yes" how do you like it? What's life like with it? And do you still enjoy it?

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone use one of the PS Audio DACs? If "yes" how do you like it? What's life like with it? And do you still enjoy it?
PS Audio makes some very good gear, Dacs being one of them, there pretty well regarded and I’m sure some in here own some . I do not own a ps audio Dac personally I own the Musical Fidelity TriVista 21 Dac which I thoughrly enjoy . What’s the rest of your system if I may ask ? . Also welcome to AK.

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
PS Audio makes some very good gear, Dacs being one of them, there pretty well regarded and I’m sure some in here own some . I do not my own a ps audio Dac personally I own the Musical Fidelity TriVista 21 Dac which I thoughrly enjoy . What’s the rest of your system if I may ask ? . Also welcome to AK.

Audiofreak71

Thanks Audiofreak. I hadn't heard of the Musical Fidelity TriVista 21 DAC until your post. Been doing some research and you have a very rare and well respected DAC. I like the "vintage" sound and also like tubes and I LOVE the idea of combining a DAC with a tube output. Would love to hear this DAC. Right now just gathering information as I have a DAC I'm not using yet (gonna connect it this weekend). I have a few purchases ahead of another DAC but who knows, maybe a year from now I may find one on the used market. From what I read there were only 1,500 of them made. Great idea and if I were you I wouldn't part with it.

Re: my gear - my setup is vintage and pretty simple. Pioneer SX-1250 (all original, 3rd owner), Technics SL-1210 MK2 turntable with Pickering XV-15 Cartridge, Denon 1520 CD player, Nakamichi CR-7A cassette deck (modified), Sony HAP S1 music player, ADC 10 Band EQ, Polk Audio SDA-2s.

Thanks Audiofreak. I hadn't heard of the Musical Fidelity TriVista 21 DAC until your post. Been doing some research and you have a very rare and well respected DAC. I like the "vintage" sound and also like tubes and I LOVE the idea of combining a DAC with a tube output. Would love to hear this DAC. Right now just gathering information as I have a DAC I'm not using yet (gonna connect it this weekend). I have a few purchases ahead of another DAC but who knows, maybe a year from now I may find one on the used market. From what I read there were only 1,500 of them made. Great idea and if I were you I wouldn't part with it.

Re: my gear - my setup is vintage and pretty simple. Pioneer SX-1250 (all original, 3rd owner), Technics SL-1210 MK2 turntable with Pickering XV-15 Cartridge, Denon 1520 CD player, Nakamichi CR-7A cassette deck (modified), Sony HAP S1 music player, ADC 10 Band EQ, Polk Audio SDA-2s.
Sounds like you have some good gear, I’m not sure if you do any streaming but if you do then you might consider getting a dac that would help the sound quality of the music you stream , PS Audio makes some well regarded ones Not sure if your satisfied with the dacs you currently have in your cd player but if not then there are plenty good ones out there to choose from . You are correct I will not part with my MF TriVista 21 Dac not just because of how rare it is but because how outstanding it sounds , it’s like sticking my head through a window and into the recording studio as the artist are recording, it is that good. If you ever have any questions your in the right place, AK has some great people with a wealth of knowledge.

Audiofreak71

I have on PS audio Nu Wave dac I really like. I just ordered another one. It has a class A power supply and does so much right. I use one with my McCormack Gold modded amp and a Nakamichi PA 7 amp that is running through my McComack Deluxe passive pre amp. I really like the PS audio gear. This is basically just a dac and that is what I wanted. I did not need a pre amp. I am getting another one to run my Aragon amp and pre amp on. I use it for my streaming music.

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone use one of the PS Audio DACs?

Yes, I have a Directstream DAC with Bridge II

If "yes" how do you like it?

I like it immensely, best DAC I have heard.

What's life like with it?

My life with it is pretty much the same as before I bought it. I'm still happy, still retired, still try to stay healthy, still enjoy listening to music and long walks in the woods, or beach.

And do you still enjoy it?

Yes, have not even considered replacing it. We get along fine.

Thanks for asking.

I have on PS audio Nu Wave dac I really like. I just ordered another one. It has a class A power supply and does so much right. I use one with my McCormack Gold modded amp and a Nakamichi PA 7 amp that is running through my McComack Deluxe passive pre amp. I really like the PS audio gear. This is basically just a dac and that is what I wanted. I did not need a pre amp. I am getting another one to run my Aragon amp and pre amp on. I use it for my streaming music.

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I have a Directstream DAC with Bridge II

I like it immensely, best DAC I have heard.

My life with it is pretty much the same as before I bought it. I'm still happy, still retired, still try to stay healthy, still enjoy listening to music and long walks in the woods, or beach.

Yes, have not even considered replacing it. We get along fine.

Thanks for asking.

Cool, thank you for sharing!

I was very close to getting a PS Audio Directstream. I still would like to try one someday vs. my Bel Canto 3.3VB. Happy with the Bel Canto though!

Had one in the stable for a couple years a while ago. Really enjoyed it and felt it made good clean sound with nothing aggravating in its presentation.

It made a few cady comments to me a couple times but Im not the easily offended type. So Id say life with it was just fine overall.

Nice. I hear good things about that DAC.

Hi Everyone,

I just had a new PS Audio DirectStream Sr delivered. It is a real eye opener when playing great sources. Huge, wide, and deep soundstage. The Snowmass software gives incredible in the room natural voice vocals. Very vinyl lke presentation. It even makes a poor source listenable and sounding closer to Hi Rez.

It is still running in but it sure sounds transformative. Supposed to open up further over time. Switching back to McIntosh MX 150 internal dac. It McIntosh sounds nearly as good on great sources. There is no comparison between PS Dac on redbook quality. PS Audio DS is way ahead. I have heard the McIntosh D1100 from my memory; would say on great sources it is closer to the DS but even used prices it does not come close for the spend to performance ratio.

I just had a new PS Audio DirectStream Sr delivered. It is a real eye opener when playing great sources. Huge, wide, and deep soundstage. The Snowmass software gives incredible in the room natural voice vocals. Very vinyl lke presentation. It even makes a poor source listenable and sounding closer to Hi Rez.

It is still running in but it sure sounds transformative. Supposed to open up further over time. Switching back to McIntosh MX 150 internal dac. It McIntosh sounds nearly as good on great sources. There is no comparison between PS Dac on redbook quality. PS Audio DS is way ahead. I have heard the McIntosh D1100 from my memory; would say on great sources it is closer to the DS but even used prices it does not come close for the spend to performance ratio.

Nice, congratulations! The few people I've seen interviewed all say that they love their PS Audio DAC. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it upsample all sources to DSD?

Nice, congratulations! The few people I've seen interviewed all say that they love their PS Audio DAC. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it upsample all sources to DSD?
Thank You. Ted Smith the circuit designer and FPGA programmer has several talks when it first introduced. He has completely removed all jitter with his code. His new Snowmass software now prides a 156 SNR.

I am listening to an old club recording of my wife’ late rothers band in 90s in an Augusta GA club. It is like being in the crowd and it is throwing a huge deep soundstage.

Amazing technology execution in this DAC.

Back
Top Bottom