PSA: Oppo DV-980H no analog output from SACD, and how to fix it

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by vodsonic, Feb 12, 2018.

1. vodsonic

vodsonic Dental Floss Tycoon Subscriber

I've just spent an hour poking around online trying to figure out why my Oppo DV-980H wouldn't put out any analog audio from SACD playback, regardless of the output settings in the menus. It would play audio from CDs and DVDs just fine, but with SACDs it wouldn't produce an analog signal at all, even though the clock & track counter were moving normally.

Regardless of whether I had the output set to stereo downmix or a surround format, there was no signal coming out of any of the analog RCA outputs, ever.

I found another post here at AudioKarma about a problem with gapless playback of The Dark Side of the Moon SACD on this same player, and a firmware upgrade that fixed it.

It turns out that I supposedly already had the latest firmware installed (from 2008 - this thing is no spring chicken, even though it works great). On a lark, I downloaded the same firmware version, put it on a USB thumb drive, and "upgraded".

It worked, and I'm now listening to The Dark Side of the Moon SACD in all its 24-bit glory.

Hopefully this comes up in a search when someone else runs into the same problem.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mrv8q

Mrv8q Well-Known Member

Well done! I have a 981, so that’s good to know. Not sure I’ve tested my 981 with SACD... hmmmm.

3. etsuHoopsFan

etsuHoopsFan New Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can you tell me if the 980 and/or 981 have variable outputs that allow you to control the volume from their remote? I have an older non-remote integrated and really want to be able to control the volume remotely while listening to CDs. Also, are these good players for CD only listening?

PS Glad you figured out the problem!

4. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Oppo DV-980H plays SACDs, and has a volume control on the remote. Sounds good. You can download the User Manual from Oppo's web site.

5. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I do not have an Oppo, but on my Pioneer, I have to set up in the menu for analog output for SACD. It might be as simple as that.

6. Mrv8q

Mrv8q Well-Known Member

Don’t know about the 980, but I’m pretty sure the 981 does thru its remote... it’s been a while since I played with my 981, which is packed away in the audio cave. I don’t want to steer you wrong...

You might go up the OPPO site and check the legacy manual section for sure! Nice thin-sized deck.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. vodsonic

vodsonic Dental Floss Tycoon Subscriber

Yes, and yes. I just tried out the volume control on the Oppo's remote. The player defaults to full volume, but the remote will adjust it.

The Oppo DVD & Blu-Ray players are very highly regarded as playback devices for CDs and many other optical disc formats, and mine plays a lot more CDs than anything else.

I had hoped it would, but no amount of adjusting menu settings worked until I reinstalled the firmware. Unless there was some very non-obvious setting that happened to get reset in the firmware restoration process. Now I'll never know for sure!

8. etsuHoopsFan

etsuHoopsFan New Member

Thanks very much. May keep my eye open for one of these players used.