PSB Image 2b sounds muffled

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by newcolors, May 19, 2017.

1. newcolors

newcolors New Member

Hi guys~

I recently picked up a pair of used PSB image 2b speakers. I have been running B&O RL 140 speakers that sound great on a Kyocera r861. I saw the 2b's at a reasonable price and picked them up. The seller allows returns.

Here is the issue~

The sound of the 2b's is incredibly muffled. Non existent mids or highs. They are connected to the kyocera. I have never actually used banana plugs before which I believe I needed for the 2b's and so it is possible I did not set up the plugs correctly~ I noticed that the plugs them selves do not fit all the way into the speakers. They are "knob" plugs i believe? I pushed a bit of speaker wire through them, fanned them out into a mushroom and screwed the top on.

What do you guys think?

Thank you for your help.

cratz2 likes this.
  2. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

Be sure both tweeters are functioning. Those are known weak spots in the series.

newcolors likes this.
  3. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yup, sounds like blown tweeters. I have a couple of pairs of 2B in my surround and 1B on my desktop. Not muffled, tweeters are indeed known to be prone to blowing when abused. PSB should still have some replacements.

cratz2 and newcolors like this.
  4. newcolors

newcolors New Member

Thanks for the reply~ Tweeter seems very dead.

cratz2 likes this.
  5. newcolors

newcolors New Member

Thanks for replying~ I wonder if i should return them~ i think i will have to pay for shipping. But just from a quick browse it seems replacement tweeters are not too expensive... is replacing tweeters on these guys something an extreme novice could work his way through? =]

cratz2 likes this.
  6. Raynald

Yes, unscrew the old ones, unclip the wires as I don't think they were soldered IIRC. drop in the new ones and replace the screws.

I had to replace one on one of my pairs of 2B and also on the matching 9C center. The last pair of 2B I saw for sale here lately were Frankenspeakers with random replacement tweeters. Seems VERY common.

7. newcolors

newcolors New Member

Frankenspeakers =[ . Where would you recommend finding replacement tweeters for the 2b's?

cratz2 likes this.
  8. geespot

geespot PUT it IN MY POCKET

Bought on Ebay? If so, return them as defective. Seller should pay for return shipping. One tweeter dead, I see but both, they were shipped blown. Not worth the hassle.

9. newcolors

newcolors New Member

Thanks, I am in contact~ I guess the only reason I am considering keeping them is because I actually really want them to work lol~ and if its just the tweeter thats blown... it might be worth it to replace and keep, no?

cratz2 likes this.
  10. redrooster

redrooster who was that masked man?

The speakers are not as described! (not working fully) Ask the seller for a partial refund to fix the tweeters.

cratz2 likes this.
  11. Raynald

Contact PSB, they had replacements for mine not too long ago.

cratz2 likes this.
  12. Jayrosc

Jayrosc AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree with everything here. I had 2b's and a pair of 1b's about two years back. two tweeters went and I felt that getting true psb replacements was to expensive.

cratz2 likes this.
  13. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

I have slightly different tweeters in mine, but they were a direct replacement and sound great. I think they were roughly $40 shipped.

I'd also ask for a partial refund. Worst the seller can do is say no.