pulled the trigger on some model 14's

JPJ

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
running out of space in the living room, but i'm pretty excited. they're my first pair of horns and it sure is a different sound, been really enjoying them this morning.

woofers were reconed at GPA and the HF drivers were sent there and given the seal of approval by Bill.

IMG_8345.jpg

FYI - I've found that toeing the speakers in makes a major difference in the performance from these as horns tend to be directional.

Congratulations on your Model 14s.

Reactions: JPJ
FYI - I've found that toeing the speakers in makes a major difference in the performance from these as horns tend to be directional.

Congratulations on your Model 14s.
thanks, yeah the previous owner mentioned he had them against the wall and slightly toed in. I plan to do that but have them temporarily set up so I can A/B with my 107s for a bit. eventually one is going to have to move though, it's a tight squeeze on that wall.

I've used my Altec 14s with the tube McIntosh MX110Z & MC240 units, the solid state MX113 & MC2505 and even the MX113 (SS) & MC240 (tube) - all with great results.

But believe it or not, the very best Mc unit for bringing out all the Model 14 has to give is the MAC1500 (tube) receiver with the LOUDNESS switch ON. That loudness curve Mc used in the MAC1500 seems to have been made to go with the natural LF/HF rolloff characteristics of the Model 14s. Yowsers do they ever come to life with that receiver.

The loudness switch on the MX110 doesn't come close, much less that of the MX113 which is practically useless because it affects the LF only, and a massive boost at that which only serves to muddy up the bottom end.

I think the less expensive MAC1700 might do similar justice to the Model 14 since it's likely to have the same loudness contour as that used in the 1500's loudness circuit.

The SS output section of the MAC1700 (the reason for its being significantly less costly than the 1500) in my view will have little bearing since I haven't noticed tubes or SS having much difference between the MC240 & MC2505 when used with the Model 14.

I've used my Altec 14s with the tube McIntosh MX110Z & MC240 units, the solid state MX113 & MC2505 and even the MX113 (SS) & MC240 (tube) - all with great results.

But believe it or not, the very best Mc unit for bringing out all the Model 14 has to give is the MAC1500 (tube) receiver with the LOUDNESS switch ON. That loudness curve Mc used in the MAC1500 seems to have been made to go with the natural LF/HF rolloff characteristics of the Model 14s. Yowsers do they ever come to life with that receiver.

The loudness switch on the MX110 doesn't come close, much less that of the MX113 which is practically useless because it affects the LF only, and a massive boost at that which only serves to muddy up the bottom end.

I think the less expensive MAC1700 might do similar justice to the Model 14 since it's likely to have the same loudness contour as that used in the 1500's loudness circuit.

The SS output section of the MAC1700 (the reason for its being significantly less costly than the 1500) in my view will have little bearing since I haven't noticed tubes or SS having much difference between the MC240 & MC2505 when used with the Model 14.
I don't have the 1500, but I do have a 4100. Going to plug that in and check it out, was thinking it might be a good match with these. Right now they're hooked up to a Mitsu DA-A15DC and a C2500 and sounding pretty sweet. I do have the bass up pretty high on the C2500.

My buddy's Altec 14's is what converted me to the Altec fold. Yup, Altec and Mac is a match made in Heaven. Congrats on the purchase.

BillWojo

I don't have the 1500, but I do have a 4100. Going to plug that in and check it out, was thinking it might be a good match with these. Right now they're hooked up to a Mitsu DA-A15DC and a C2500 and sounding pretty sweet. I do have the bass up pretty high on the C2500.

I'm not certain how the loudness curve compares between the MAC1500 & the MAC4100 (which is variable in the latter) but, yes it's certainly worth trying. You can do a lot worse than the MAC4100 for running a pair of Model 14s regardless. I'm sure you've noticed how sensitive they are- doubt you'll ever see the Power Guard lights come on! :)

Guess I'm just not used to horns, but these things make it sound like I had cotton balls in my ears when listening to my kef 107's, a pair of speakers which I thoroughly enjoyed. The clarity and detail on the Altecs is insane, which is mostly great, but kind of unforgiving on shitty recordings. I guess this might all be pretty common knowledge, but it's new to me. Still haven't tried them with the 4100, but will hook that up soon enough.

Going to have to keep my eyes out for a lower powered tube amp that I can sub into the system to see how that sounds.

Back
Top Bottom