Purchasing advice on Marantz suite. Where do I begin?

fazman

Well, I ran across someone who is willing to maybe part with a full Marantz suite in nearly mint condition. Included in a package would be a 2110 Tuner, 3250b, 170dc , 5025b tape deck and I forget which model turntable. All have rack handles and it's all enclosed in an original Marantz cabinet.
You should have seen the look on my face when I saw all those blue lights :drool: I couldn't speak :D

Now we haven't begun to negotiate and he really has no idea where to begin either let alone if he truly wants to sell it or not. I really have no idea where to begin either. I don't want to pay too much for this stuff although it could be easy to do, it is in such good condition.

Any suggestions on where I could begin with this. I mean I don't want to insult the guy either and risk having him not sell all together so I guess that's why I am asking.

Anyone with some meaningful words of wisdom would be appreciated

I'd say top dollar would be close to $1000, possibly more! Good luck fazman! :thmbsp:

Tough call. Conscience versus greed versus percieved value to each party. The easiest thing to do is tell him you are seriously interested, but don't know how much you should pay, and try to get him to name his price. Whatever he says, offer him between 50 and 80 percent of that, assuming it is below that $1000 (or whatever it should be) "ceiling" because he has probably built in a "comfort factor" that he'll willingly forgo and still be happy with the deal. Alternatively, figure out what you would gladly pay for these as a "top" price, and offer him about half of that. Negotiate from there. Whatever price you end up with that you are both happy enough with to williingly make the deal is a "fair" price.

I'm assuming, since he owns these in such good shape and is a bit hesitant to sell, that he realizes they were/are nice things to begin with. If he hadn't a clue and you were in a position to really take advantage of him, he would have sold them to you already for a garage-sale price and you'd be crying here with guilt and we'd all be green with envy. :D

I guess getting him to start would be the way to go. He did express interest in a Pioneer sx-1250 or 80 but unfortunately I don't have one to include in a deal or I think it would be done by now.
We'll see what happens, thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom