Pure i-20 iPod dock

How stable is this thing with your iPad docked in it? I have a new iPad 2 that I want to stream Pandora to my stereo with, and this seems like a good choice for that as well as our iPods. I have a cheap cable that uses the iPod dock connection to Stereo RCA now, but it didn't work with the iPad. The Pure site lists the iPad as a compatible device, but doesn't specify which version. I assume the iPad 2 will work?
I have the iPad 1. I don't remember there being any stability issues with it (although it does seem large for the back support), although I only tested it out when I first got it and it hasn't been in the dock since. I would guess that it will also work with the iPad 2, but I don't have one to test.

I prefer using the iPad to remotely control my music (via Airplay) to an Airport Express, so it only gets docked at night.

Just received mine today. Connected via toslink to TubeDAC-09. Very pleased so far. Also pleased to post a positive review as I've been somewhat of a downer lately.

Another positive discovery with the i-20. When playing music on youtube, the lack of Flash Player (it's not supported on iPhone) appears to be a non-issue now. When docked and playing a video the iPhone displays "TV Connected. The video is playing on the TV." Apparently the Flash dependency is bypassed. I could give a hoot about the video, I just want the audio and now I've got it. Woo hoo!

Last edited:
I have the iPad 1. I don't remember there being any stability issues with it (although it does seem large for the back support), although I only tested it out when I first got it and it hasn't been in the dock since. I would guess that it will also work with the iPad 2, but I don't have one to test.

I prefer using the iPad to remotely control my music (via Airplay) to an Airport Express, so it only gets docked at night.

It works with the iPad 2 just fine. I e-mailed Pure's support team to ask before I ordered mine, and their response was:

"We have tested the iPad on our i-20 and it did work - however, as the i-20 only delivers 1amp on charge and the standard iPad power supply delivers 2.1amp, it's not suitable for charging."

I streamed Pandora from my iPad 2 via the i-20 to my Yamaha CA-2010 for several hours last night, after setting it up, and the iPad was still at 100% charged when I stopped, so their response has me a little baffled? Regardless, I'm quite happy with the i-20/iPad set-up, and will now try all of our iPod models to see how they sound, as well as spend some time figuring out the remote.

It works with the iPad 2 just fine. I e-mailed Pure's support team to ask before I ordered mine, and their response was:

"We have tested the iPad on our i-20 and it did work - however, as the i-20 only delivers 1amp on charge and the standard iPad power supply delivers 2.1amp, it's not suitable for charging."

I streamed Pandora from my iPad 2 via the i-20 to my Yamaha CA-2010 for several hours last night, after setting it up, and the iPad was still at 100% charged when I stopped, so their response has me a little baffled? Regardless, I'm quite happy with the i-20/iPad set-up, and will now try all of our iPod models to see how they sound, as well as spend some time figuring out the remote.

Probably equivilent to a trickle charger, that's my guess.

So I bought one of these awhile back to use in my bedroom system for late at night, fall asleep type listening. Loved it. Then I found a great deal on a Peachtree iDac, which made the Pure redundant so I sold it in Barter Town in like 3 minutes. I just moved the Peachtree into my main system...so I just bought another Pure i-20. When will I learn to keep something even if there isn't an immediate use!!!?????

I've got the opposite problem. Hardly ever sell anything......resulting in lots of unused stuff sitting around.

Probably equivilent to a trickle charger, that's my guess.

The answer is that a 1 amp " legacy" iPod charger ( or for that matter a computer USB cable) will " trickle" charge an iPad - if - the screen is not on. Running the backlight is what pushes it over the 1a barrier.

Jblnut

Got my i20 a couple of weeks ago and I gotta tell you its definitely a keeper. 100 clams for what you get is a fantastic bargain. My ipod with apple lossless library sounds every bit as good as a mid level CD player with a convenience that is second to none, well done!!!

always wanted to hear how much better peachtree's dac vs pure i20

Truthfully it's not even close....but neither is the price tag. Don't get me wrong, I love the Pure enough to buy it twice, but for serious digital listening with plenty of options the Peachtree iDac is very, very good.

I'm wondering how all these external DACs for ipod work since, last I checked, there's no digital audio output on the dock connector. Are these things pulling the itunesdb off the unit and playing directly over USB?

The only digital connections I see is USB and the serial comm for the ipod remotes.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept with Tapatalk

The bottom pin connection can pass a digital signal depending on the type of dock it's connected to. There are an increasing number of devices that do this, the Pure being one of the least expensive. It's still a nice way to bypass the internal DAC of the iPod, which truthfully isn't all that bad. The problem with using the headphone jack on the iPod is the crappy amplifier in that circuit.

I don't follow.....bottom pin?

Which bottom pin? The ipod dock connector is a 30 pin connector. The pins on both the left and right side (1,2 - 29,30)....are ground.

I say this because I've looked through a ton of documentation (I can find) and see *nothing* mentioning the ability to send I2S or SPDIF out of the dock. If it does...it must be an ipad/iphone/touch thing.

Sorry, I should have said the bottom connection not the pin. Wadia was the first to come out with a device that pulls a signal from the iPod without using the internal DAC, but it was very expensive. Since then there have been others...Pure and Peachtree among them. I'm not sure of the exact technology or any agreements with Apple that may exist, but in any case it works.

The benefit is of course the ability to use a separate DAC, the one built into the Pure i20 being a decent option that isn't really any better than the iPod itself but bypasses the headphone amp. The Peachtree iDac on the other hand sounds fantastic and has several other digital inputs..coax, Toslink, and USB.

I *STILL* don't understand you. Bottom Connection, the dock, ok....WHERE on the dock connector is this coming from. Headphone jack bottom connection (4 conductor)...I thought that was for video output.

I still find no documentation that supports this. I look at it this way...if its just magically coming out of the bottom dock connector...its probably pulling analog line out and taking you for a ride.

what is so hard to understand? The ipod has an interface on the bottom - that provides a way that other devices can connect to the ipod- and render the ipod on their device - ex wadia, peachtree, pioneer.

I've have had this in my car for 5 years through my Pioneer AVIC F series. It connects to to my ipod with the bottom multipin connector -and my pioneer controls the ipod, charges it, - displays album artwork, handles voice control, video, DAC, etc. Way more than a headphone output jack can provide.

Peachtree is doing the same thing.

Thanks,

The docking connector on iPhone/Touch/Pod has digital out. The docks referenced in this thread access that digital signal (which bypasses the Apple DAC) and sends it to the docks DAC.

Back
Top Bottom