Putting an old friend back into service- Billy Graham’s amp

Thocom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My Fisher SA300 has sat on the shelf for a year or so, since I had an issue with the ps circuit. I thought I had a bad 5ar4 Tube. Turned out to be my error (big surprise..again), I had a 22k 1 watt resistor in place of a 22k 2 Watt resistor. Dumb mistake, but everything survived (except the 1 watt resistor, that smoked).
I’m sometimes my worst enemy.

Now it sounds very nice. I had never really heard it after I replaced all the CC resistors with Takman REX Carbon Film.
This was my first REAL tube amp, so I’m glad I got it to sound like I thought it could.

I was planning on getting it working than selling, but not now that I’m hearing it again. It’s staying here. Lol

Oh, one other thing, this used to be Billy Graham’s Amp, I got it from the grandson of his sound engineer. Not that it makes any difference, but it was pretty beat up when I got it.
With his recent death, it reminded me I had to get it back healthy again.
I’ve replaced all the caps and resistors, even the small ceramics and silver micas.. don’t ask me why, it was my very first tube amp I suppose.
They same reason I changed all the RCAs and speaker terminals, lol.

AC3E8026-82ED-4A15-992F-FD334882FEBA.jpeg B4616D20-D611-44D6-8CE8-C51535C8FC3F.jpeg 5D280929-97F3-4285-B0C0-D3DFBFBCD0E0.jpeg 82BEC744-BC39-4456-9BE0-14E240E97F5F.jpeg

If you don't mind... What are those plugs on that metal strip that seem to transform screw-on wires to inputs in which you can plug modern cables? If you know where I could get something like that, I'd appreciate it. It looks unoriginal but very neat. Thanks.

If you don't mind... What are those plugs on that metal strip that seem to transform screw-on wires to inputs in which you can plug modern cables? If you know where I could get something like that, I'd appreciate it. It looks unoriginal but very neat. Thanks.

They were custom made on a milling machine, the RCA panels were milled as well. I just made a simple plate and screwed in some high quality 5 way binding posts.

Praise tha LAWT thats a sweet looking amp! Nice work - I’m sure it sounds heavenly! (Sorry couldn’t resist)

:D

The funny thing is who owns it now (me) and who I work for.. complete opposite of him, he might be spinning in his grave if he knew. Lol

I was thinking Alice Cooper or Kiss might be an appropriate warmup selection for that one.

I got to hear one of these at the last NJ/NY AK get together, it really sounded amazing. It was paired with a matching brass faced CX pre so I’m sure that didn’t hurt things either. I’m just a sucker for meaty midrange of an el34.

I have in my possession an amplifier said to have belonged to JC hisself ... any offers?

horn_shaped_ear_trumpet_history_and_evolution_of_hearing_aid_technology.jpg

Last edited:
The funny thing is who owns it now (me) and who I work for.. complete opposite of him, he might be spinning in his grave if he knew. Lol
The guy that got Mormon Apostle J. Reuben Clark's McMurdo Silver Masterpiece V bespoke radio set is a gay friend that works for Fox broadcasting as a chief engineer.

Early Metallica cranked will help reform the caps just right & blow out the cobwebs!:rockon:
But that's just me!

That would be funny if a tube blew out once R&R music started playing.....

Billy, it’s not your amp anymore !!!

Back
Top Bottom