Pye Pro-Lab system build - vintage on the cheap

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hello all,

I currently have a very nice pair of Pye Pro-Lab 70 speakers with the lovely Philips tweeters connected to my main system. I've been thinking about putting together a vintage system for the lounge with an emphasis on form rather than function so today when a matching Pro-Lab 70 receiver popped up on our auction site, I grabbed it.

From the description, it needs a deoxit due to scratchy controls and may possibly need attention to one channel but all will become clearer once it is delivered. I'm going to put my Garrard Zero 100S on top as the main source and enjoy some retro sounds (eventually).

660793780.jpg

I'm considering a full restoration on it, mainly for my own entertainment, so we will see how that goes. I MAY gut the power amp (if possible) and put in the class D chip amp I built and still haven't found a home for. Depends if I can use the Pye unit as a preamp and hand off the output into the chip amp. We'll see.......

great news indeed - she works really well and sounds awesome ! The seller said the controls were scratchy and one channel was either really quiet or totally out. After working all the controls back and forth and a few shots of cleaner it all sounds great.

Spin some old 60s Kinks albums on the Pye label! Those are my favourite rock albums of all time. I didn't know until recently that Pye made stereo equipment too. Learned that the other day trying to find info on some Goodman Minister speakers I recently acquired.

Great photos!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom