Q: A good 6" fullrange for JBL L33 cabs...

asynchronousman

that doesn't cost a lot but yields a really nice image? Power range peak 50-100 maybe 125 watts and easy to maintain?

Thanks

Steven

And HOW do you disassemble the terminals to transfer them?

I'm gonna repair the one speaker with bad pinhole terminals (a Phillips in one spot and the other broken)? I've got to remove all three sets and banana plug the L33 cabs or find new replacements, in which case I could call A-Gem and ask.

and of course I'm looking for those replacement speakers...

Not intending to restore the unless the correct drivers are there

Actually, that's an 8" driver (LE8) in the L33. Unless you want to make some adapter rings, you'll need to use an LE8 in there. It's not quite a big enough hole for an "industry standard size" 8" woofer, but too big for a 6.5".

IIRC, those L33 cabinets should have the push-terminal inputs. If so, there's a Philips-head screw on the backside of the cabinet plate, inside the cabinet, that holds the terminal in, and holds the ring lug for the wire on the inside...

Regards,
Gordon.

GordonW said:
Actually, that's an 8" driver (LE8) in the L33. Unless you want to make some adapter rings, you'll need to use an LE8 in there. It's not quite a big enough hole for an "industry standard size" 8" woofer, but too big for a 6.5".

IIRC, those L33 cabinets should have the push-terminal inputs. If so, there's a Philips-head screw on the backside of the cabinet plate, inside the cabinet, that holds the terminal in, and holds the ring lug for the wire on the inside...

Regards,
Gordon.

Well, if grumpy needed a used one that needs a new surround, they must be as rare as chicken incisors. They are good cabs, albeit a bit worn, but I'd like to reuse them for the eventual Pioneer shrine I'm losing a disused couch for. I've got some decent looking wood from the furniture stores' pallet/packing piles and I think I really could make a nice stand with some help for maybe six of them and/or other components.

Where should I look to for a source that's not going to kill me?

Well, if you're going to use it with a Pioneer shrine anyway... you could trim the woofer hole on the L33 cabinets out to a standard size for a normal 8" woofer and use this driver... Pioneer 8" full-range:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-045

My guess is that the original port should work... or you might want to lengthen it a bit, depending on the room.

If you decide it doesn't have good enough highs, you could always get one of those little Onkyo surplus tweeters:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=269-708

... and hang it, using some metal straps, over the front of the Pioneer, like a coax driver. I think it's already got a built-in cap inline; just splice the leads from the tweeter in parallel with the woofer, and it should be OK. For a quarter each, it's a quick and easy way to "perk up" the highs!

Regards,
Gordon.

The L 33 sounded good enough to me, so how did the two compare in your opinion? Wiring in a car tweeter means a crossover and I wanted the simple route--just drop in and go.

That Goldwood woofer has the parameters all wrong to work in a ported box like the JBL. It'd be major boomy midbass, with no low bass. OTOH, the Pioneer driver, looks like it'll get solidly down below 40 Hz, with a reasonably smooth response down low (a little peaking, but probably just enough to "warm up" the midbass... like 1-2 dB or so extra output between 50 and 100 Hz- kinda like the original JBL L100 had, BTW).

Also, the tweeters shouldn't need any additional crossovers- those Onkyo tweeters have built in caps. You could just parallel them with the Pioneer 8"s- don't bother adding a choke to the woofer, just let the tweeter act as a "supertweeter", augmenting the high end of the Pioneer. No need to break a sweat... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Will I have any problems ordering two of them for 50 cents and no CC/Paypal?
They seem to be a closeout and all I do is money orders.

The Pioneers would have to be later, but I can't remember if they were being closed out also.

I wouldn't think it'd be a problem, other than you'd probably be paying $5 for shipping for $.50 in drivers... :scratch2:

As for the Pioneer 8" dual-cones- that should be a standard catalog item. In fact, I think that's a relatively new model, that replaced an earlier model that had BLUE foam surrounds...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom