Q Acoustics 1000si Subwoofer

Paladin777

Hey guys,

Long time no post.

I have come here seeking to tap into your collective knowledge in the hopes that you could help shed some light on my current predicament.

I have a wonderful Q Acoustics 5.1 system that has now decided that it wants to be a 5.0 system. My Q Acoustics subwoofer has decided to stop working correctly whilst I was on holiday.

It powers on, but makes a constant, loud noise. Any tampering with the dials on it’s rear results in deafening pops. I can find a sweet spot where it seems to settle quietly when adjusting the Level AV dial, but even the lightest touch thereafter brings back the cacophony. Removing the RCA has no affect whatsoever.

Having had a look inside, everything seems fine. No burns, pops, or loose connections.

Can anyone help me to figure this out? I really can’t afford a new system.

I don't think the driver is bust, otherwise it shouldn’t be making any noise at all, right? But if it’s the subwoofer amp, is there anyway to fix it/replace it?

Thanks for your help.

I can't find much on thses but I'll offer some advice.

1) If it's a standalone (i.e, the other 5 speakers don't derive their power from it) it might make more financial sense to simply replace it with a generic sub. If you don't want to do that, then contact the manufacturer for advice.

2) If the other speakers DO depend on the sub for their power, then contact the manufacturer for advice on how to handle it.

Hey Skipper,

Thanks so much. Yeah, it’s a standalone. My Q Acoustics speakers are all directly hooked up to my AV receiver.

Any reasonably cheap generic subs that you can recommend? I was thinking the 2070si from Q Acoustics (my budget is currently non-existent for subs as I am trying to save to buy a house, so the cheaper the better to be honest).

Thanks again.

I'm in the UK I'm afraid - London.

There appears to be an EU supplier, but they seem a lot more expensive than your recommendation.

I'll keep looking. Thanks again for all your help!

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Wife called in panic this morning as all of the sudden there was a loud noise at home and it turned out to be the subwoofer. Removing the RCA doesn't achieve anything. Touching any of the dials or the phase inverter switch only cause the noise to come back - assuming it disappears when the volume is set to zero (which isn't always the case).

Did you manage to figure out what the problem was?

Back
Top Bottom