Q for Terry on MC30 auction

randog

Terry (and anyone),

Been toying with bidding on this auction for a nice pair of MC30's:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67786&item=5754440856&rd=1

Probably all for not as from what I've seen going on at eBay in the recent past they are more than likely to blow past my pain threshold. (now don't y'all bid against me!) ;)

These units have been refurbished and the seller shows the parts that were replaced. Does this look like an appropriate slice and dice? (that's a whole-lotta parts)

If so, what questions should be asked about the replacement parts and other queries to ensure a quality refurbishment?

What are the risks that the changes stole from the sonic signature?

Thanks,
Randog

They replaced the bumble bee amd wax capacitors, some resistors, and a few tubes. As long as they used a reasonable quality parts (nothing exotic) it should be OK. Kind of wish they had replaced the main filters, for reliability, even bringing up on a variac the filters are OLD and will degrade the sound .... Not too rusty, over all the price is still in the ball park, never know what the final feeding frenzey will bring. Personally I dislike the metal 6L6's (1614), they radiate too darn much heat.....has glass ones now. Nothing unreasonable that I can see - go for it.....

Last edited:
Just for a matter of interest, which parts are the filters? I assume they are visible from the underside of the amp.

Thanks in advance.

The tall aluminum can on the top of the chassis next to the 5U4 rectifier. Looks like they still have the original selenium bias rectifiers, they should be replaced with silicons and the bias reset.

Well I got some hi-res pictures from the seller and the condition isn't near as nice as it looks from the smaller photos.

Meanwhile, there's a pair for sale locally to me and wouldn't you know it - the seller is the daughter and her mother of the father's estate. They have no clue and have been using Audio Classics as a pricing guide. Never mind that the amps are going to need to be serviced anyway, they want top dollar. Make that excess, over the top dollar. :thumbsdn:

Of course in trying to give them a clue they think I'm trying to scam them. Pfffffffffft.

too bad on the auction mc 30's and the ones from the estate.keep looking and im sure you'll find a deal on some sooner or later.i know what it's like.it took me a long time to get mine and even longer for a mx110.you might want to consider getting them one at a time as youd probally get a better deal that way.good luck.
chris

Patience is a virtue. The right pair WILL come along, sometimes it takes some time to procure the RIGHT pair. Chin up - once you do locate and purchase your 30's, you won't worry how long it took to find them.

As long as they look good and have good transformers they can be made to sound correct, small components are not a problem.

Thanks everyone. It was cool to come back here and get some encouragement.

It's funny, I'm into old cars and, well, a lot of old stuff really. What gets me is when someone owns something that is somewhat collectable and the owner might be the original owner or a relative of the owner and once they start to shop this stuff around they get these wild ideas of what this stuff is worth. Forget the condition and the fact that it usually needs a go-through top to bottom, they want more than top dollar. I see it all the time and I've finally realized it's better to just walk away than waste time trying to educate them. They don't want to hear it and they look at you like a snake. I love buying original stuff, cobwebs and all, and I know someone's going to get something cool and original when the seller finally gets a clue. It just ain't gonna be me at that time and place. :)

I never try to scam anyone, but I do try to pay no more than a fair price for 'stuff'. :yes:

In the case of the MC-30's, I'd like to send them to Terry once I find a pair and for me, that expense needs to be factored in as well.

Now where's the 'keeping-my-eyes-peeled' smiley?

Randog

Back
Top Bottom