1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Qa, Qb, Qjr, Q5 speaker stands owners wanted

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by elnaldo, Feb 28, 2010.

1. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

Qa, Qb, Qjr, Q5 speaker stands owners wanted

Hi everybody.

I'm looking for some pictures, drawings, dimensions, in order to build a pair of those spakers stands, as close as possible to the originals, since on the web I can only find brochures, but no details about dimensions and materials.

I want to know also how are the speakers attached to the stands...

http://www.bobbyshred.com/images/Qb1page.jpg

Thanks in advance :D

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MrLegit

MrLegit Active Member

Check infinity classics web page.
    If nobody comes up with any dimensions,roughy guess it from the dimensions of the speaker!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The stands are attached to the rear of the speaker with 3 1/4 hex headed wood screws.
    They are 12 inches wide.
    They are 12 inches deep.
    The back of the stand is 14 inches tall top 3 inches formed.
    From the back bottom of the speaker to the floor is 11 inches
    From the front bottom of the speaker is 10.5 inches lean forward 1/2 inch

The top 3 inches or so is formed it is bent inward so that it goes over
    the speaker frame so it can have a flush mounting point to secure to the
    back black portion of the speaker not going into the veneer.
    The screws are about 3/8 inch down from the top.

Look to be 1/8 inch thick for sure not 1/4 inch

The stand is bent at a 90 degree angle it does not really have a way to lean
    the speakers back they actually lean forward the front 1/2 inch lower then the back
    I guess the top 3 inches of the stand could be bent so they leaned back?

So I would think any metal shop with a Brake (I think thats what they are called) could bend up a set.

And they are really cool I like the way you can rock (in both senses) them
    and they will not fall down just like weables they wobble but don't fall down.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  4. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

Wouu!!! Thanks !!! I guess I can draw a plot of them with my eyes closed !!!:tresbon:

MrLegit: I was looking infinityclassics, but no pictures of the back... jus guess, as you say...

goat67: Do the speakers lean or rest on any piece of metal? I'm posting a draw as a first try... Could you point me i the right direction? I would go for Number "2", but requires soldering a piece. Thanks very much.

Attached Files:

5. goat67

I will post a few pics later #2 is close there is no support other than the shape of the "L" shaped brace and the screws
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  6. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

Thanks a lot.!! :thmbsp: I was looking for a picture like this for almost one month...

Now I see... Very simple to build. I was thinking (as shown in my drawings) that the cabinets were holded from the top, not only from the bottom... It seems a bit weak. I think I'll add 3 more inches high, and add another row of screws. I'll try to lean the speakers back just a bit. I will post pictures later... I think next month....

Thanks again !:thmbsp:

Edited: This is my idea of the improved stands...I think it will be a bit stronger.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010

7. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

HI,
    I'm resurrecting this thread since I think to start with the stands this week (or month). The speakers are already restored, finished and working very good !!!!

goat67
    already wrote that his stands are bended 90º, but I continue to see pictures and brochures where they lean back a little.

I wanted to know, if somebody owns any original pair, how many degrees are they bended.... I'm thinking to bend them to 93º. Here is a picture of my plan.

[​IMG]

8. goat67

Mine are original I purchased the Q5s and stands probably before you were born. :D

As I said in another post I own 2 different sets of speakers using these stands.

On the Q5s the speakers tilts forward.
    On the Qas the speaker tilts back.

I have concluded it is due to the difference in the weight of the speaker.

So take the speaker weight into consideration.

These stands are really like a spring the same stands were used for a bunch of different speakers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  9. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

The Infini-classics web site says the Q5 was introduced in 1977... So for sure I was born!!! (I was six in 1977...) :)

Yes, I remember you wrote about the different weight of your 2 speaker sets, but in your picture the stand is clearly bended 90º, that's the reason I asked again, to see if somebody else have a different one.

I'll ask at the metal shop where I'll bend the stands, and also "feel" the material resistance. I'll "fine-tune" the angle later with some supplement if needed.

Thanks again !

10. goat67

The stand really is a spring, looking at the Qa's here in my office they tilt back just like the pictures you have seen.

Now if I push down on the front top of the speaker I can get it to tilt forward just like the Q5s so depending on the weight of the speaker determines the angle they tilt.

So If you use a heavy gauge of material it will not allow it to tilt forward

Good luck and let us see what you end up with.

11. nissan guy

nissan guy Super Member

Just tested to see if i could make these on my friends metal brake at his house. They are pretty easily made. I just used a scrap sheet to test it out. If i have some spare time i am going to try and make a set out of 1/4" steel and test them out with some ola's. I think using the thicker material would be benificial for heavy speakers so they wont be tilted downward. If they work good i will post some pics up for reference after i powder coat them.

12. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

I went to a metal shop today, and already ordered the stands in 3/16" (4.75 mm) material. I felt both, 1/4" (6mm) and 3/16, and felt that the thiner will be OK. The 1/4" felt very heavy and too thick.

If some of you already know that the 3/16 will be too thin, please let me know, I think I can change the order tomorrow :) :)

Thanks !!

13. macaltec

macaltec Metal Master

Watching with interest.

14. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

15. rhkbco

rhkbco New Member

what kind of screws did you use to attach the speakers to the stand? I have an original pair that came without screws

16. elnaldo

elnaldo Addicted Member

Hello. Something like this, as thick as possible, as long as possible.

screw_P1070008.JPG