Qb vs 6 Kappa question Old vs Newer Comparison

TomBig58

Simple question. Should I expect a marked improvement from my Qb's, which I love, to the RS6 Kappa? My Qb's are recapped and original but have emit K tweets. The Kappa 3 ways have the same tweets, polydome mids with, I believe 902-3061 woofers. I'm going to demo the 6's tomorrow. Obviously I can't AB test until I get them home.

Simple question. Should I expect a marked improvement from my Qb's, which I love, to the RS6 Kappa? My Qb's are recapped and original but have emit K tweets. The Kappa 3 ways have the same tweets, polydome mids with, I believe 902-3061 woofers. I'm going to demo the 6's tomorrow. Obviously I can't AB test until I get them home.
I think it's basically a sideways move though you may like one over the other.
Note the mids are problematic on the Kappas.

The Qb is no slouch, but I think you will find the bass "tighter" with the Kappas. The IMG woofers are lighter and stiffer than those in the Qbs.

Thanks for the input. My Qb's have the best bass of any closed box speaker I own except the Kef 105. As a general rule I tend to dislike the boominess of ported or passive radiated speakers. I like the Kappa cabs and they are real wood. They look sharp. The vinyl veneer on the Qb's is in good shape, but it's vinyl...

I have been catching up on the polydome mids situation and that will influence my decision for sure. If it really is a sideways move I should probably pass until a Kappa or RS model a little higher up the food chain comes along. Preferably a smallish footprint tower. The Kefs are without a doubt the best I own but they are just so darn big for my small place that I keep waffling about selling or keeping.

I think the Qb cabinet is poorly built and benefit big time from some simple assorted bracing with 1X2"s.
You can also glue up some veneer over the top of the vinyl if you think it'd improve the looks.

When I got the Qb's a year or so ago I researched a couple of great restoration threads here, including cabinet bracing and reworking the front baffle to make them mirror image, projects I can handle. As purchased, the round emit K's don't fit quite right in the old opening anyway. A veneer job is something I would farm out if I get so inclined. As I said I really like the sound of them but it would have to be true love to warrant that kind of expenditure. I think I'm going to pass on the RS 6 Kappa based on what you guys said, having never heard a pair myself. One of the polydomes is intact but the other is brittle and broken. I'll post the CL link over in D&S, someone local may have a need for the drivers or cabs or both. Thanks again for the advice.

The RS6 boxes are nicer.
Bass seems tighter on the Kappa, probably due to smaller size and foam vs rubber surround. Neither is a slouch. RS6 has tighter attack.
I preferred the RS6 mids over the Qb.
Tweets are both excellent sounding EMIT.
A recap really makes them shine.
PS: Consider using 2 bypassed PIO caps on the tweets to mellow some of the harsh they can have, while still retaining their sublime sizzle.Wonderful difference.

My Qb's (dumbass edit Qe) sound a bit 'dirty' due to the EMIT being used lower then in most infinity designs (imo) so, the kappa 6's will sound clearer and cleaner, but are as said, mostly a lateral move, different, not better or worse.

I quite like my Qb's(dumbass edit Qe)

Edit for !Doh!

Qb are a three way, not two way like the Qa and Qe, so disregard my comments, I was thinking of both my Qa and Qe

The 6 Kappa are in a higher class and should easily beat the Qb in a straight A/B when both are fed with similar high fidelity hardware. Assuming the speakers are in good working condition. That's based on long time experience with the fine capabilities of 6 and 8 Kappas vs the simpler specs and rightfully lower expectation from the Qb, and in comparison to the Infinity speakers I use in other systems. The Kappa EMIT and Polydome combination is magnificent and bettered only by EMITs paired with EMIMs (when that luxury is available). Unfortunately Kappa Polydomes are getting more scarce as time passes with increasingly higher prices (eBay) for those in good, not deteriorated working condition. There is still no adequate modern replacement part and the best alternative is to have dead Polydomes repaired by Millersound at http://www.millersound.net/infinity-kappa-polydome-repair.html In recent years there have been people trying to sell rotted Polydomes in eBay with the potential of having them rebuilt. Stay away from the BS silicone Kappa Polydome membrane replacements occasionally found in eBay.

I have eight Kappas with eight Polydomes in good shape that have proven for 30 years that good maintenance (as described many times over the years in this forum) and a clean, climate controlled environment (away from sunlight) will keep them in good working order.

I have not heard the Qb . but " sound clearer and cleaner " doesn't sound lateral to me .. ( "The Kappa EMIT and Polydome combination is magnificent " )
Had a chance to compare The Kappa 6 to many others at an audio store I worked at in previous life ..To me they were pound for pound the best I had ever heard . Wanted to find a pair but was unable to when I NEEDED them . So I opted for the 6.1 and very happy w them .
But the Kappa 6 in a small sealed enclosure with a 10 " woofer ? So easy to manage size wise and so packed with audio goodies ! Nice Job Infinity !

Off Topic Note To (( JAZZMANS .))
( Sorry for Total thread digression )
Re BPPV :no: ( < Bppv simulation )
I had another bout with it recently and thought I would share what I learned . .
I thought it something I just have to live with BUT found it can be reversed .
There are very specific maneuvers you can do to re position calcium crystals within inner ear .
After researching on youtrube to understand the structure and what needs to happen to re position I did one from youtube search "Dr Wong Vertigo treatment "
Had to determine which ear I had it in first but It worked the very first time I tried . Poof just like that ! No more :no: :no: :naughty:
Just thought I would share that with fellow Infiinity Bppv person :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom