Qe for me

jazzmans

stopped by my local audio shop, they had a pair of Qe in pretty good condion. I took them home.

They don't to my ears have nearly the midrange suckout the Qa's did, but the Qa were a 10" woofer instead of an 8" that must have made a difference.

Great little speakers, that didn't cost much at all.

pics to follow soon of my demo set up.

Great little speakers. A set of those got me through college back in the late 70's - early 80's - one of the best low cost bookshelves of its day :) I'm sure that they still sound great if functioning properly.

It's not like I need any more speakers,

the problem is I don't seem to need any less speakers either! rotf...

here's a couple of pics of them set up in the main room for demoing purposes.

Damn fine little speakers, I must say. a bit harsh on the top, and not quite the 'cleanest' sound, but good and highly (more so then any other speakers I own, actually) efficient, which means they'd probably sound pretty damn good on the kind of integrated amp they were (I suspect) designed for.

The vinyl is peeling on one corner a bit, some of the mdf is crunched due to age, but nothing structural or major, so I'll likely not touch them, just use them somewhere....

I have stupid visions of making my own wall of speakers, with all of them wired in, but covering an entire wall of my house. inspired by among a great many others,,,
maxresdefault.jpg

Ya, they were always a little "spitty" sounding, but very open and (as you say) fairly efficient. I don't know if these have any electrolytic caps in them, but if they do it may be worth replacing those with some film caps - might smooth them out a bit.

The Qe is crossed over too low @2500hz( normal for dome tweets) for the Emit as perhaps it acts better as a high frequency tweeter, imo

Damn fine little speakers, I must say. a bit harsh on the top, and not quite the 'cleanest' sound, but good and highly (more so then any other speakers I own, actually) efficient, which means they'd probably sound pretty damn good on the kind of integrated amp they were (I suspect) designed for.

The vinyl is peeling on one corner a bit, some of the mdf is crunched due to age, but nothing structural or major, so I'll likely not touch them, just use them somewhere....

I have stupid visions of making my own wall of speakers, with all of them wired in, but covering an entire wall of my house. inspired by among a great many others,,,
maxresdefault.jpg

I see some LS50s poking out. How do U like them jazz. I listened to them a couple of times and liked them. Seems they like the power also for bookshelf’s . I really wanted some of the limited edition ones but didn’t have the money at the time. Still don’t lol

I have to say, you were right. The new Maggie's sure do brighten up the space.

And Bahama, I thought they sounded remarkable for such a small speaker ! Jazz knows his stuff.

The Qe is crossed over too low @2500hz( normal for dome tweets) for the Emit as perhaps it acts better as a high frequency tweeter, imo

I'll bet that's the source of the uglieness I hear. do the infintesimals (series IV) also have the same high crossover point?

When I ordered the LS50's they were still called the anniversery edition, but the pair I received no longer said that. I take it to mean that there is no difference between the very first run and subsequent runs.
They are great speakers, but when the Qe are where you see them, the KEF's sound like they're rolled off in the highs, and also sound boxy, I expect because the Qe are in front of them deflecting the offstage wave.

It's funny, the Qe are really quite good, with the aforementioned exceptions, but when I switch back to my maggies, they just sound 'right'.

Weird, and hard to describe.

maxresdefault.jpg
What Maggies are those? 2.5R?

The EMIT is on a black circular plate so that if you use the Qe on its side, you can turn the tweeter upright. The EMIT was designed to reduce floor and ceiling reflection by limiting vertical dispersion.

IThe vinyl is peeling on one corner a bit, some of the mdf is crunched due to age, but nothing structural or major, so I'll likely not touch them, just use them somewhere....
Just wanted to point out that these are almost definitely particle board, not MDF. I don't even know if MDF was around back in the mid 70s. Even my Kappa 8s from the late 1980s are made of particle board.

Yes, 2.5r with brand new ribbons from magnepan :))

Particle board. I knew in the back of my mind it wasn't mdf, but couldn't summon the right name. thanks swechsler!

I'll bet that's the source of the uglieness I hear. do the infintesimals (series IV) also have the same high crossover point?

When I ordered the LS50's they were still called the anniversery edition, but the pair I received no longer said that. I take it to mean that there is no difference between the very first run and subsequent runs.
They are great speakers, but when the Qe are where you see them, the KEF's sound like they're rolled off in the highs, and also sound boxy, I expect because the Qe are in front of them deflecting the offstage wave.

It's funny, the Qe are really quite good, with the aforementioned exceptions, but when I switch back to my maggies, they just sound 'right'.

Weird, and hard to describe.
Congrats!
I assume those have the rubber surrounds so you should be good for a while.
Not sure what the crossover point is for the Infinitesimal 4.
The 2500Hz in the Qe's is as low as I've seen among the two RS series and the Q series.

Back
Top Bottom