Qe gone, opinions- what next

Swan1493

Opinion qestion for all you infinity lovers, I had a pair of Qe that were in really nice condition after I fixed one of the emit tweeters, I gave them away to a friend who is now enjoying them. What's the next step in experiencing vintage infinity speakers? How is that for vague?

I really enjoyed those Qe speakers and my wife thinks they were the best sounding speaker I've had so far (I disagree but that is outside the scope of this post) and I would like to dabble some more in this infinity world.
I have a variety of receivers on hand, all solid state, many B&O. What should I be looking for next for fun?

Welcome Swan1493! :) Most vintage Infinity speakers that we all know and love here on this forum, often require a decent, high current amplifier. Obviously, the bigger the speaker you go with, the bigger the amp you're going to need to make them sound their best. Do you have any amplifiers, or do you only have receivers/integrated amplifiers? Which ones do you have?

Anyways, in regards to your question, depends on how much you're willing to spend?! If you want a step above the Qe's, then how about a nice pair of Kappa 6 or 7's, RS II, or RS III/IIIb? All these can be found anywhere from $300-800, give or take your demographics or the deal you find. Depending on what you are going to drive them with and the space you have to play them, all will be a big step above your Qe's for not a ton of $$.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you find! :thumbsup:

How much $? How much DIY repairs are you up for? How big can they be?

The venerable Qb will give her the EMIT sound she likes and much more, very available for about two bills...

Size is inconsequential.

DIY is preferable. I've recapped, refoamed, recapped, and refinished veneer on vintage speakers, and on the Qe I resoldered the connecting points after disassembly of the emit tweeter and successfully reassembled after. The helpful AK post on how to keep those awesome magnets from going crazy really helped.

Price would be in the range of a speaker you would like to experience for awhile but not keep for more than a few years.

Style points are valued

Amplification is most likely going to be through a receiver and my current favorites are the Beomaster 8000, Beomaster 4000, Beomaster 5000, Pioneer Sx 770, Setton SR 220.

Last edited:
Size is inconsequential.

DIY is preferable. I've recapped, refoamed, recapped, and refinished veneer on vintage speakers, and on the Qe I resoldered the connecting points after disassembly of the emit tweeter and successfully reassembled after. The helpful AK post on how to keep those awesome magnets from going crazy really helped.

Price would be in the range of a speaker you would like to experience for awhile but not keep for more than a few years.

Style points are valued

Amplification is most likely going to be through a receiver and my current favorites are the Beomaster 8000, Beomaster 4000, Beomaster 5000, Pioneer Sx 770, Setton SR 220.

Well, it looks like your Beomaster 8000 is your best bet out of the ones you listed. It is capable of driving a 4 ohm load at 150w per channel. Knowing this, the fact that you dont plan on keeping these speakers for a while, and that you like diy projects, go for the kappa 6's. The kappa series does have issues with their polydomes and often requires some work (if you know how) or for them to be sent somewhere and be repaired. They're probably the easiest to drive out of the 4 i listed, so your reciever should be able to play them.

Thank you Infinity and chef free,

Are many of the older infinity speakers 4ohm? What kind of amplification specs do many of the more lovable infinities like?
I do love a project, but there is a pair of kappa 6 with what looks like intact polydomes and stands on eBay right now with a BIN of $250.
I also see a pair of Qb for sale from a local speaker repair shop for $200.

Never heard or owned anything IRS, but you need some hefty amplifiers for all of those. The Kappa 8's and especially the 9's are notorious for dipping below 1 ohm and killing amps. The QLS 1's and 2's are kind of in the same boat. The rs 4.5's are pretty hard to drive as well with the 4, 12" watkins woofers. The rs1/1b's require a lot of power just by the sheer size of them. No reciever could or should ever power ANY of these listed above! Almost all vintage Infinity's have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, but can go lower or higher depending on the speaker. The kappa 6's and 7's are no where near as hard to drive, and that's why i recommended them to you, based on your equipment and your diy needs/wants.

In regards to the kappa 6's on ebay, if everything is original and working... $250 is a fair/reasonable price for them.

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above. I quick look on your cl there is a pair of RSB's for sale. Easy to drive and a step or two above the qe. Also a pair of Crescendos that are titled generically "infinity speakers". Not sure what model # but they are floor standers that are newer than most of the Infinitys talk about here. They sound terrific and can be had for small money.
...also saw a pair of RS4.5 local to you,now those are really something...
Jim

Plenty of good suggestions already.
If you don't want to go way up the line and wish to (possibly) keep the wife happy, how about a pair of Qb's?
Still highly regarded and should sound similar to the Qe's that just left your house.
Another from around that era that wouldn't break the bank and contains no hard to obtain drivers would the the Reference Studio Monitor.

There's no problem running ONE pair of 4 ohm speakers with any of your amps, it's running a second pair that causes trouble.

Oh I'm excited! It sounds like this hunt shouldn't be too difficult now. I was a little intimidated by the wide history and selection of infinity speakers and many seemed of questionable quality. Also thanks slimpikkins for checking out CL around me, I would have missed the RSBs, and those RS4.5s are crazy.

The RSb replaced the Qb. Both are 3-way, acoustic suspension speakers with 10" woofers and EMIT tweeters. Many have stated a preference for the Qb however.

Back
Top Bottom