Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Pre: Bottlehead Foreplay tube
Amp: custom direct coupled "ultra path" 2A3 tube
Source: KLH CD entry level
speakers: JBL L40 two way
Music: Nora Jones

Let me start by saying I an NOT an audiophile, but have been into music since childhood. My father was an accomplished musician and my sister has her undergraduate degree in music and voice. So, I've grown up with music in all it's forms. I would call myself an music enthusiast. How else can I explain five working systems in my house and a sixth at work. This being said, these are my own impressions and totally subjective. I'm not trying to sell anything or impress anyone. This is just the way I heard it on my first audition of these cables.

Volume on the pre was set to 8 o'clock (6 being no sound) and never moved. The pre has mega gain and mated with the 2A3 will drive fairly inefficient speakers well. There is a speaker impedance switch with an off position that I used to swap cables.

The QED Silver gave a sudden sense of realism. The volume was lower (maybe softer) but extremely detailed. I wasn't sure if I like these at first, but after some listening the initial change smoothed and I really started to enjoy the music. The changes were subtle and I dought I would have notice if they had not been switched back to back with the cable on the other channel.

Back
Top Bottom