QLS-1 Will My Setup Work For Now?

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by briandrex, Aug 31, 2018.

1. briandrex

briandrex AK Subscriber Subscriber

My room size is about 14'W x 20'D with 8' Ceilings. My current choices for pushing these speakers is not great. My largest amp is a McIntosh 2105 with a C26 Preamp. I have few older receivers that I've had recapped and restored over the last two years while getting into this audio hobby. I have a Marantz 2285, 2270, 2265B, 2245 and a Fisher 500B and Fisher 400 as well a MAC 1700.

My ultimate goal is towards a system such as a McIntosh (2) MC275 as I would like to stay with tubes as the Fishers at this point produce the sound I'm looking for. I started looking into Infinity speakers once I subscribed to Paul McGowan's youtube channel. His philosophy of speakers first and then building from there is why I'm considering QLS-1 speakers even though I know they are power hungry. I'm currently using JBL L100, Polk SDA 1, Pioneer HPM 100 and Polk Monitor 10 speakers as my go to choices.

Can I use these speakers with the setup I have until I can get what is necessary or am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I stick with speakers more efficient and less power hungry because of my equipment. I'm mostly into rock and heavy metal although I don't need to play it loud and blow my hearing out at all times. I know my music is not critical listening but would love to get the most out of it and have always been intrigued by the Infinity line. They look amazing and have quite the following as well.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

Did you just acquire these, if so congrats man. They do like the juice.

3. briandrex

I have not acquired them but have a chance at getting a pair of them. Just checking to see if I could use them until I'm able to get the right gear to power them. Also since I'm leaning towards a tube setup, albeit with more power than my current tube receivers, would this be a good fit or am I looking at solid state amplifiers with more power?

4. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

Honestly I don't think any of your receivers are going to work, the McIntosh either, your listening volume is going to be very limited and I'd watch that 2105 if you do for overheating.

You can do a search on the QLS-1 here, lots of good intel. If the price is right though you know what do ;)

5. briandrex

I have been doing some reading on here about the QLS-1. If I'm into the tube sound is there a setup I can use where I'm not compromising the tube sound while still feeding a set of power hungry speakers like these? I'm still learning so from what I have read I could power the sub woofer with solid state and then the top end with tube amplifiers? Like I said I'm still learning so I may not have worded or understand this correctly.

6. slimpikkins

slimpikkins Super Member

For tube amps, Audio Research makes and made some high powered tube gear. I have used a Arc d115 which is an 80lb 100wpc tube amp. Not enough for full range imho. There are several other arc amps that may work but they are expensive to buy and maintain. Options are bi amping with a ss amp on the bottom end and tube amp on the high end. So the tube amp doesn’t see the low end watts you can place an in-line crossover between the pre amp and the tube amp. One of your amps will need adjustable gain to equalize the volume. That would be a good aproach with Mac gear. One or two mc275 on top and say an mc7200 on the bottom end. Another compromise is a ss amp full range with a tube preamp.
    Remember the QLS is very inefficient. It’s quite shocking the first time you turn up the volume...best with big watts.

7. Tedrick

Tedrick Infinity-phile Subscriber

The MC275 will probably sound fantastic on the mids and tweeters, but it will wilt when run full-range into these speakers. None of your receivers are up to the task of driving the QLS-1's, either. You need to find a big-iron high-current solid state amp that is stable down to 2-4 ohms to take control of those woofers and make 'em sing.

Congrats, by the way. The QLS-1's are end-game speakers for many Infinity fans.

8. briandrex

Thank you for all of the advice, it looks like I'm going to have to get some real power for these babies. Good to know I can still go the tube route for the mids and tweeters, I really like the warm sound they provide versus solid state, at least to my ears.

9. idadude

idadude Well-Known Member

I'm a tube guy, but I power my Infinitys with a wonderful sounding Cherry Megaschino amplifier. The Mega has everything I want without sounding solid state and has never broken a sweat with any load I've put on it. Cherry is out of Allentown PA and puts out great products. Even their small stuff can easily handle a QLS-1 using the upgraded power supplies. If you're stuck on using tubes VTL puts out some hefty tube amps. I'd buy used.

Larry D.

10. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

It's more difficult to find a nice pair of QLS-1's than an amp or amps to drive them, so grab 'em while you have the chance.

I had QLS-2's (before getting IRS Delta/Gamma's) and loved them. If my brother hadn't wanted the Q2's I'd still have them.

11. briandrex

I'm thinking I should just go and get them and figure out how to drive them later. I'm used to JBL L100's and Polk SDA 1's most of the time so I'm thinking this will be quite a step up from everything I've read. I should also be able to demo them before purchase which will be a big plus.

12. rdka

rdka Active Member

what is the guy driving those speakers with now? That will provide some experience anyway.

13. briandrex

My understanding is a MC7200.

14. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

"For now" is the key phrase.
    Restraint is the keyword.

15. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have QLS-1, they are 82.5 dB @ 1w/1m, two hundred watts is minimum for any kind of Rock or Metal especially for someone used to JBL L100/Pioneer HPM 100. You could get a second MC2105 and figure out to rig them for 210 watts mono operation. On the other hand, Arnie Nudel LOVED the sound of tubes and insisted on demoing his speakers with them.

Have you ever heard the Quantum Line Source? They aren't exactly Rock Speakers. They really seems to be tuned toward Classical.

I'm wondering if you'd prefer a set of big horns like Altec, Klipsch, JBL, etc.

Edited to say: Don't even try those receivers with the QLS, it will kill them...

16. briandrex

If I end up with the speakers I will definitely not try them with my other receivers. I have heard these are good with all kinds of music from the reading I have done. I definitely plan to audition them first and will listen to some heavy metal and rock to make sure they are good for my primary listening genre.

I wasn't a fan of the horns in KG4's when I owned them but my listening space at the time had concrete floors so I'm wondering is that made things more shrill to my ears.

pauljh likes this.