QLS4 or Monitor 2 A's?

RoyOtis

I have an opportunity to purchace a set of Monitor 2 A's. The guy is asking 475. They look like they are in mint condition, right down to the foam in the walsh tweeter. Buuut, I've come across a set of QLS 4's for 300 and had been re coned by a professional. What would be a better choice? I already have a set of Column 2's, I was thinking the Monitors would accompany them nicely, but the column 2's are a sealed design and the Monitors are ported. I am not sure how the two would sound. Whereas the QLS 4's are sealed with the watkins woofer. What to do, what to do?!

I’d go for the QLS. It was the best non reference speaker Infinity made at the time. (The QRS was top of the line, but they are exceedingly rare).

That's kind of what I was thinking too. The monitors are similar in appearance to my Column 2's and are from about the same year or so, but the QLS is sealed like my column 2s and have a much better driver. A personal plus for me, the QLS4 were manufactured the same year I was, 1979

I have a pair of Monitor 2A's and a pair of Column 2's. As you said, they look similar, though they do sound a little different. Nothing that really stands out, some days I prefer one, other days it's the other. They are both excellent, and will stay with me to the end.

As for the QLS, I don't have the 4's, but do have the big bad 1's. They really are special, they fill the whole house with such a sweet sound, every other speaker suffers by comparison. JMHO
I would believe the 4's are a nice upgrade over the Monitors, but the monitors do look very nice, and stand out in a crowd.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how you find them.

Dave.

Back
Top Bottom