Qobuz vs Tidal hi-res soundoff 2019!!

Qobuz vs Tidal sound quality. What sounds better to YOU?

• Total voters
Least controversial would be to simply ask, "Which sounds better to you, Tidal or Qobuz?"

Any further explanation inevitably invites debate.
79DC92D0-970C-47DA-9982-9BC7D91E9323.jpeg

Competition is a powerful instinctual drive in human nature. Plus “vs” sells stadium tickets.;)

Last edited:
And you cannot get higher rates with MQA. All MQA does is over sampling to get higher rates.

Where is your scientific proof that you cannot get higher bit rates with MQA? Tidal has MQA Authenticated bit depths of 24bits and I have found Tidal songs via Roon with a sampling frequency of 384 kHz.

BTW a single 8 min song streamed in uncompressed FLAC at 24bits/384kHz would take over 1GB of data with a bit rate of 18,432 kbps. That's more bandwidth than 4K video streaming and more than what most Internet service providers are capable of reliably delivering. Storage is a whole other issue; 80 songs at that bit rate would NOT fit in most computers 1 terabyte hard drive.

452E37EF-6EF1-4F23-959B-CBE187ABD2F9.jpeg
Your comments are not factual; Rather they reflect your extreme prejudicial attitude towards Tidal's ownership, with your hypothetical rants of MQA being your excuse to hate on the service provider.

Last edited:
The soundstage was more defined. Piano and string instruments sounded more realistic, almost analog. The singers voice also seemed remarkably lifelike... It seemd as if the musical melodies extended longer with TIDAL vs the abrupt ending of the music notes in Qobuz’s version as if the track was compressed.
It would seem that mastering engineer Brian Lucey's comments are spot on:

It’s definitely a lossy codec, that was clear. And like Mastered for iTunes or any reduction scheme the losses are in critically important areas. Where as mastered for iTunes is harmonically cold and loses some low volume/low end information, actually altering the groove to make everything sound like a nerdy white wedding band, MQA brightens the high-mids in the Mid section while thinning the low-mids on the Sides. There’s also some harmonic distortion which some people could find pleasing, If I want that distortion in the master I would’ve put it there in the first place. The results of MQA I would call fatal to the source material even as they are very subtle. MQA has been targeting the weakest players in our world, the audiophiles.

As for me, I retired Tidal after nearly two years and prefer Qobuz. It replicates what I hear with the many lossless high resolution 24 bit (true master) downloads I have. :)

Last edited:
Tidal has MQA Authenticated bit depths of 24bits
You continue to ignore facts. Read the Meridian patent which is found in the link I provided in post #12. Figures sourced from that very document:

"This 24-bit input is immediately reduced to 17 bits using noise shaped dither..."

mqa.png

Last edited:
Are there examples of suspect MQA recordings on Tidal that the service needs to ask the distributor to supply another file to replace a flawed recording? Yes, and when I let them know.

Thank you for doing that. Tidal seems to have become more responsive recently. Not only fixing things but sending surveys after.

Thought I was the only one.

Just as a point of reference, what MQA enabled DAC do you use? I don't seem to find one in your Nov 2018 member system post.

Looks like a Meridian Explorer2 DAC.

I have been listening to different hi-res tracks from Qobuz and Tidal via Windows 8.1 dedicated HTPC, Meridian Explorer2 DAC 192kHz/24bit, Fisher RS-Z1 receiver in source direct mode. .I listened through B&W DM640i tower speakers

I am confused.

I use Tidal and like it. But, it is not without issue.

I kind of sort of understand why one might not like MQA. But, I have a choice of listening to an MQA album or not. (I have not heard anything offensive in the MQA tracks through a Bluesound Node 2. They tend to sound different but, to me, certainly not lesser.If you don’t like MQA, fine. Choose the other option.

Should we be discussing non MQA from Tidal versus what Qobuz offers?

I am confused.

Should we be discussing non MQA from Tidal versus what Qobuz offers?

We are discussing Hi-Res 24bit/96kHz or greater music sound quality between the two providers. There could be a thread started about 16bit/44.1kHz for discussion of CD quality sound between the two providers comparing apples to apples.:idea:
I just have a hard time listening to 16bit/44.1kHz after listening to Hi-Res 24bit/192kHz all day, so that CD quality discussion never crossed my mind. It would be a very good idea to compare those to see if there is a difference in CD quality audio from the two providers.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I just compared them, and they both sound like crap.

Oh wait.
There was a damn fly on speaker.:mad:

I no longer have a Tidal subscription (dropped it in favor of Deezer), but I signed up for Qobuz Studio a few days ago. My impression so far is that Qobuz sounds better than either Tidal or Deezer through my Bluesound Node 2/Benchmark DAC3 setup. And not a single dropout so far, which was a frequent problem with Tidal in evening prime time.

I noticed you edited it yesterday, but it's still courting controversy. I'd suggest this, which invites participation but avoids unnecessarily pressing any buttons:

We now have two great hi-res streaming providers that offer 24bit/192kHz. Both services have their differences in layout, pricing, royalties, owners, codecs etc..., but the only difference I wanna discuss here is SOUND QUALITY.

What hi-res streaming service do YOU feel sounds better and how did you come to your conclusion?

Qobuz vs Tidal hi-res sound-off 2019!!​

I have not gone the streaming route yet. My question, based on how this forum started is simple. Which one has the better quality of sound? I don’t care about Flac, lossy, MQA, etc. I just care about quality of sound. So which version sounds better?

I have not gone the streaming route yet. My question, based on how this forum started is simple. Which one has the better quality of sound? I don’t care about Flac, lossy, MQA, etc. I just care about quality of sound. So which version sounds better?
That’s a question that you’ll have to answer for yourself. Both Tidal and Qobuz have a 30 day free trials to evaluate their services. I would suggest going with the Hi-Fi trial on Tidal and STUDIO trial on Qobuz because that’s their highest fidelity package for the best possible sound quality.

I like Tidal MASTERS That’s only MY preference. Others may have different streaming service provider preferences. You’re best just to try both and judge for yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom