QR 4500 --- 2 questions

1ontop=

Monday, I took delivery of this receiver. It is in very nice condition however some of the mode indicator lights and the 2-4 channel indicator does not light up. Also would like to replace the fuse lamps for the dial to brighten it up. Can anyone give the bulb / lamp numbers for these applications?

On another note: to use an external power amplifier .. exactly which outputs do the cable plugs go to?
Did much reading on the QR 4500 but did not come across any info on these topics.

Attachments

• 1117171008-00.jpg
    1117171008-00.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 14
  • 1117171030-00.jpg
    1117171030-00.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 13
This does not, to the best of my memory have a Pre-amp output so you cannot use it with an external power-amp unless you modify the unit as none of the outputs on the back are post volume.

All replacement lamps are available from this site here, AK members get a discount..
https://sites.google.com/site/dgwojocom/
The small 4mm function lamps need soldering....

I use drop in LED lamps in all the units I am working on now, the "warm white" looks very original, no modification is necessary to the unit, all the lamps just wire in and clip in...simple.

Also, you need to reflow the solder on the mounts for the fuse style lamps, as these always go intermittent from the years of heat cycling...

Depends on if you want to use the front or rear. Pull the pre/main jumpers and connect a cable from the preamp out of the QR-4500 to the main in of an amp.

Rob

My mistake, I thought it was a qrx, yes this model has Pre out/Main in.

Use the pre out as stated to connect to another power amp...

Depends on if you want to use the front or rear. Pull the pre/main jumpers and connect a cable from the preamp out of the QR-4500 to the main in of an amp.

Rob

It's confusing to me because the receiver has PRE OUT MAIN IN and the amp has L INPUT R. So would I pull the top jumper (hidden under the antenna) as represented in the photo then place one end of the cable into the amp inputs with corresponding colors black is L and red is R (photo). Then attach the other end into PRE OUT as L and MAIN IN as R ?

Attachments

• qr4500-back.jpg
    qr4500-back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 8
  • s-l1600 (3) - Copy.jpg
    s-l1600 (3) - Copy.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 8
It's confusing to me because the receiver has PRE OUT MAIN IN and the amp has L INPUT R. So would I pull the top jumper (hidden under the antenna) as represented in the photo then place one end of the cable into the amp inputs with corresponding colors black is L and red is R (photo). Then attach the other end into PRE OUT as L and MAIN IN as R ?

I just look up the lamps on the service manual and give Dave the size and type of bulb, + the Volts and milliamps rating, he does the rest....
You don't need the numbers.

Its simple, You want to use the QR as a pre-amp to drive your McIntosh amp right?

So, pre out on the QR is the pre-amp output, you connect these Pre Out L+R of the QR to the INPUT L+R of the McIntosh.
MAIN IN on the QR is the inputs to the power-amp. So you will not use those.

Last edited:
Kind of an odd combination but it should work. Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

Just messin' around til my C26 is refurbished .. but this QR is definitely a keeper!

Nothing wrong with that, I drove my MC2205 with my G22000 until I got a McIntosh pre-amp.....

I think the QR could sound really good through the Mc amp...

Did you get it all sorted and running?

I connected the cable as instructed and hit the power button on the Sansui but nothing happened. Thought maybe I did something wrong. Checked the fuse and it looked fine but I swapped it for another new fuse and still nothing. Found the power cord jarred loose when I moved it closer to the wall outlet. I will give an update tomorrow as it is too late now to test the system at different volumes. Apt living. :rolleyes:

The results are in! Using my MC754 in conjunction with the QR 4500 they sound like a Sansui 5000X minus the warmth. In other words .. much more oomph as expected but quite sterile sounding. I will clean the controls, switches and replace the lamps / bulbs .. put it back in it's walnut case, show it off it in a walnut bookcase and listen to it solo in all it's warm Sansui splendor. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Synergy not there for you with that blend of Mc and Sansui then?
Having been working on a lot of Sansui quadraphonic receivers lately I have found them to hold their own.....
I think the QR4500 was fairly TOTL at the time it was released...

Back
Top Bottom