Qrx3500 & Qr4500

buddam

Hi new to this forum. Am waiting to receive a 661 receiver bought on ebay for £27. Am considering either (or both) a QRX3500 and QR4500. I'd play mostly in stereo. My chief concern is sound quality rather than facilities and wonder if the quad units are up there with other Sansui gear. What would be a reasonable price for these quad units?

Thanks for the site and forums.

Adrian

QRX-3500 or QR-4500

Hey Buddam,

I guess it really depends on what you want to do/expect of them. Either of them would give you a nice introduction to quadraphonic listening, but both are considered to be "first generation" Sansui quad units, so they can't match the performance of the later "second generation" quad receivers like the QRX-5001/6001/7001/8001/9001 which included Sansui's Vario-Matrix Type A quad decoder/synthesizer.
Sansui deserves a lot of credit for building their quad receivers with pretty much the same components and quality as their stereo equivalent model. Unlike other manufacturer's who did cut corners on their quad models to keep the price competitive with their stereo models.
For instance, the 9090DB stereo unit shares many "common" components with its quadraphonic "brother" the QRX-9001. Toroidal transformer, identical tuners and Dolby circuits, cabinet construction, etc. And, where the 9090DB was 120wpc, the QRX-9001 was 60wpc in 4 channel mode, 120wpc in its "stereo X2" power mode.
So, my recommendation would be to go with whichever looks and sounds best to you..............if they are inexpensive. If your going to spend real money, and/or really want to run it as a main receiver......then hold out for a second generation model which can be easily used even for today's surround sound home theater applications.
Good luck! Just let me know if you want anymore details on the "quad" side!:D

Back
Top Bottom