Quad 101for Newb

Lazarman

Hello
I'm an engineer but as far vintage high my knowledge is limited to last 3 year's
I already have 3 receivers both under 50 watts per channel my use case is vinyl only.
I fell in love with Marantz after buying a Marantz amp and preamp that equipment is in storage
While the Sherwood, Kenwood Pioneer receivers I obtained after the amps is probably more than I need to play vinyl I've gotten bitten by the vintage hoarder fever while looking at some equipment I've found a Marantz 4400 and a 4270 within 1 to 3 hours drive.
I have no clue besides quad record's what is required to take advantage of these units and was hoping to get guidance on whether I was buying something I'd ever fully utilize. The 4400 really got me thinking I was stealing something on the cheap as it's 2 channel 125 wpc cost was well below buying a 2325 Marantz 2 channel. I'm not sure I even need that much power so when the 4270 appeared today an hour drive away and the owner replied I made an appointment for Friday. He's telling me he can't source quad in a demo just demo all 4 channel's via 2 speakers. I'd like input on the following
1)He's asking $750 for the 4270 are their any 75 wpc 2 channel marantz amps in the same price range? Using say Craigslist as a gauge not looking to wait for a miracle garage sale score
2) The 4400 is $400 more is that a better score?
3) What should I ask to make sure I'm getting something that's fully working quad wise. The 4400 was recently serviced he has paperwork and he's the original owner even has the box. He's got quad record's as well. I think the 4270 was refurbed but not the caps in power supply.
4) is quad worth it? To be honest I just want a beautiful looking vintage receiver that says Marantz and takes me up a notch beyond the 35 wpc range. What do I need for quad as far as speakers anbd cost?
Thanks this a great group I look forward to hearing from all the veteran audiophiles

Last edited:
Welcome
Pretty spendy. If you do not have the media to play the quad format quad not really something special. But in the end it is up to you on what you want to spend.

Welcome to AudioKarma. As for the Marantz quadraphonic units and quadraphonic music systems in general; the cost is big and the rewards are small, however; you may find the process of getting a good quadraphonic fun and enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom