Quad 11L Classic

Art K.

The Voodoo You Do!
Just put a deposit on a set of these in matte cherry (gloss not available in US) and will pick them up about this time next month. They are intended to pinch hit for the Harbeth's occasionally and be put in to the living room setup for summer listening...not much volume required but good sound is a plus. Summer nights we like to open the living room windows and play the tunes while we lounge in the back yard. We aren't far from the windows and that is why not much volume is required. These speakers replaced the 11L2 in their lineup. Review below.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.a.../251-quad-11l-classic-standmount-loudspeakers

Any thoughts?

They certainly look well built and they get down to under 50hz in the lower registers. Not bad sensitivity either. Nice. What is the price you can get them for?

I'm not sure if Quad has altered the design since but heard a pair of these in a showroom setting several years ago now. I was impressed.

RC

I'm not sure if Quad has altered the design since but heard a pair of these in a showroom setting several years ago now. I was impressed.

RC

The design has been updated and by all accounts greatly improved. That speaks well for what I may be in for.

The design has been updated and by all accounts greatly improved. That speaks well for what I may be in for.

I would think so. The ones I listened to were a consignment pair. Although the quick hook-up we did for audition was not ideal, thought they were pretty nicely balanced (to my liking anyway) and things would only get better some attention paid to set-up.

I'd say they leaned a bit toward the warm side of neutral but not overly so. Beautiful cabs for that price point also.

RC

In terms of fit and finish they look very much like...Nola Boxers!

I am looking forward to hearing your review on them.

I have own the 22L and 22L2 towerspeaker and i've been really happy with them. I have hesitate before buying my RBS-1, you can find in the used market a exelent pair of 22L2 for about 8-900$. This is an exelent sounding speaker and the built quality is top-notch. Even if it's a small monitor, they can take a lot of power, and they want power !
Pictures to follow right ;)

I have own the 22L and 22L2 towerspeaker and i've been really happy with them. I have hesitate before buying my RBS-1, you can find in the used market a exelent pair of 22L2 for about 8-900$. This is an exelent sounding speaker and the built quality is top-notch. Even if it's a small monitor, they can take a lot of power, and they want power !
Pictures to follow right ;)

Pics will follow once I get them. I really became interested when I read that they had upgraded the driver integration which I had felt was a problem with prior iterations of the speaker. The 11L Classic being half the price of the 12L Classic and being a lot more than half the speaker I felt that it would be a great addition in my small home. We'll see.

I think the Quad 11L's are beautifully finished speakers for their modest price, but sonically they're one of the most boring, laid-back speakers I ever tried. :boring:

(connected to a Nait 5i at the time) For serious music listening they lacked some sparkle, detail and transparency to me.

(edit: I must confess that the Quad 11L's I tried at home didn't had the name 'classic', just 11L)

Last edited:
I think the Quad 11L's are beautifully finished speakers for their modest price, but sonically they're one of the most boring, laid-back speakers I ever tried. :boring:

(connected to a Nait 5i at the time) For serious music listening they lacked some sparkle, detail and transparency to me.

(edit: I must confess that the Quad 11L's I tried at home didn't had the name 'classic', just 11L)

Yeah the 11L Classic is supposedly very different that the 11L and the 11L2. We'll see.

One mans "laid back" may be another's just right.

Just out curiosity, Baldo, maybe you could provide some information as to what speakers and electronics you are currently running that provide the sparkle, detail and transparency you are seeking?

It may provide some helpful context for Art and others to evaluate your opinion of the 11L

RC

One mans "laid back" may be another's just right.

Just out curiosity, Baldo, maybe you could provide some information as to what speakers and electronics you are currently running that provide the sparkle, detail and transparency you are seeking?

It may provide some helpful context for Art and others to evaluate your opinion of the 11L

RC

I know Alco (Baldo) from Pink Fish Media. He runs a Brio-R (new) and Diapason Micra II (I think that is the right iteration) speakers with a Squeezebox for a source. Prior to that he ran a Naim Nait 5i-2 and matching CD player. His systen is in the system pics sub forum.

I've learned after years in the forum world to take all comments in context. Generally when Europeans say lively it's a component to steer away from for me. In my experience "lively" is code for bright in the upper midrange.

Alco may be right about the previous version of this speaker. The previous version was a bit notorious for poor driver integration and consequently poor timing. If the new one times well and leans toward the warm side of neutral with good detail then it may be just right for me.

I can add here my little experience to the lot. I have own the 22L2 for a while (i bet they have the same sound signature as any quad speaker in the serie). I had also my combo Naim 5i and CD5i. Anyway, i had bought a pair of Focal 826V to replace the Quad. I can assure you the Focal was a much more refined speaker. Much more details, better presentation, dynamic, lively in every corner. But the Quad had also a solid presentation, solid bass but was probably meant to be with a different amplification. The Quad still a very good speaker who's made for those who looking for a very non-fatigue sound. Hope that help Art

(Did i ever said english isn't my first language, hope i am fine:))

Back
Top Bottom