Quad 11L Classic

Just FYI, I work part-time for a Quad dealer here in the US and there is no current importer of Quad speakers and electronics into the USA....we have sold a lot of their recent e-stat offerings and a large number of the dynamic speakers, so not having a current path for current factory goods is quite a piss off...as far as I know any new Quad gear sold in the US with US warranty is coming from dealer's stocks...

We hope that someone picks up the line, but as of today I don't know who, what, when or where...

I'd love to see IAG find quality distribution channels for several of their products. Fortunately Music Direct picked up Wharfedale. Would be cool to see Stephen Mejias listen to the 11L Classic as part of his entry level series or perhaps Robert Reina as he enjoys entry level standmount speakers.

I am now running-in the brand new Quad Classics with the Rotel system:
Rotel 1070 Integrated amp
Rotel RCD1072
Rotel tuner 1080
The Classics replaced Rogers LS3/5a and a big sub HsU VTF2
Later they will replace my Quad 11L being run from a Rega amp, Apollo cdp.

While still new, I like the Classics already. I realize that I am moving between lower priced speakers. Some day I will get some really high end ones but I am happy for now.
My speaker experience is so much more limited than Art's. The price of living in the last frontier.

I am now running-in the brand new Quad Classics with the Rotel system:
Rotel 1070 Integrated amp
Rotel RCD1072
Rotel tuner 1080
The Classics replaced Rogers LS3/5a and a big sub HsU VTF2
Later they will replace my Quad 11L being run from a Rega amp, Apollo cdp.

While still new, I like the Classics already. I realize that I am moving between lower priced speakers. Some day I will get some really high end ones but I am happy for now.
My speaker experience is so much more limited than Art's. The price of living in the last frontier.

You know the sound of live music and you know what you like. That's pretty much all there is to it. I'm blessed to have a lot of dealers within a few hours drive and to have a spouse who know how important getting out and listening is to me.

There is a thread here at AK about what we've learned in the hobby over our lifetimes in it. For me it's pretty simple. There is no better way to learn than to get out there and listen. I take every opportunity to hear what's new and talk to dealers, distributors and manufacturers. I come to audio forums to relax and for recreation, not to learn. Occasionally it happens by accident and of course that's always good and I'm grateful for it it when it happens.

That's too bad. You may want to consider not getting replacements. I tried to describe the sound in a way that you would understand that they may not be a speaker for you. You tend toward a brighter sound and these are not that at all. I listened to my wifes again last night and they are truly an excellent speaker but they are also quite understated. Anyone who is accustomed to and enjoys the specific ProAc's, Spendor's (among Spendor's liveliest designs ever) and Usher's that you own, may find the Quad's a bit dull and lifeless. I find them refined and detailed with no hint of brightness or over empahsis in the upper mids or mids. When appropriately placed and matched they are among the best buys in the hobby. Perhaps you got a bad set, just not sure.

The Ushers went a lone time ago, treble was too hot even for me and the midrange a little grey/ colourless, the smoothness and richness of the Creek couldn't help with either of these traits. They reminded me a little of my Proac's only a lot less refined and just a little too far from the neutral to justify keeping them.

Yeah I did notice the quads have a dark character, but when they were working on both channels properly they counter with a big sound. The dealer may not have any replacements so we'll see. I also have an active mode on the Creek that liven's up the treble and pace, sometimes I use this with the Harbeth's. I appreciate your advice Art, if your proved right you can say, I told you so :yes:

Hey Gavin...just about to watch a movie but first we are listening to one on my wife's cd's with the Brio-R, Apollo and Quads connected with the Rega Couple IC's and Belden 12 gauge speaker wire and the sound is fabulous. Wife just returned from Seattle so she wanted to hear some new cd's she just picked up.

That's it, I do go for live music whenever possible.
I have taken chances on reviews both from forums and magazines and have had good luck. The trick is to find the ones that are similar to my own taste. Really, the same for movies, food or anything, you have to know what the speaker likes first.

What you said about Epos is so true. I think they may have gone back in the direction that they came from but I would have to hear the Elan to know.

My biggest problem with the Harbeths is that they always sounded small, even in a small room. Wonderful timbre but too limited.

I didn't have the same issue with different levels with my Quads that you are and neither did my wife that I am aware of. Let them break in, believe me they really do open up beautifully. A lot of speaker $449.

Right now I am breaking in a pair of Diamond 10.1's and they are simply wonderful. Just a notch down from the Quad's as John Darko so accurately pointed out but really quite good. I am just amazed at how good it can get for these bargain basement prices.

I've been listening to my Quads 11L Classic connected to a NAD C375BEE in my study for the past 2,5 months and they're just fabulous to listen to, they sound much bigger and no listening fatigue at all. I find them a lot better than the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 I have in my home cinema setup.

The Epos Epic 5 (on the end of a NAD C326) in my living room are disappointing though. I find, and my partner as well, that they have a bright forward trebble, which can sometimes be too much, depending on the song. The result is that I don't want to listen to music anymore on that system, I prefer the Quads by a large margin. I did go and audition the Epos in a music store, but their listening room was far from ideal, big with lots of customers walking in front of the speakers. Sadly, we have decided to sell them as we just can't live with them.

Luckily, thank you Art K for putting me onto the Quads through your thread.

There's a very good Dutch review of the Quad 23L Classic on the following site: http://www.hifi.nl/artikel/7324/Quad-23L-Classic-Loudspeakers.html. I know Dutch/Flemish is my mother tongue, but Google translate can help. ;-)

Last edited:
You probably know this story, but I have been reading about the British speakers and see why those of us that like one of this group favors the others too: Quad, Warfedale and for me, my old English made Castles.

A review in 6Moons tells the story. An exerpt:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/castle/1.html

"The Castle Acoustic company was founded on September 3rd, 1973 as a spin-off from Wharfedale. The Wharfedale Wireless Company established in 1932 remains one of the oldest still active audio companies. To a large extent they were responsible for British hifi with its development and bloom. In the 60s and 70s Wharfedale experienced such extraordinary growth that they changed from manual to mass production. This would soon reflect on the quality and looks of their loudspeakers. It’s why a group of directors and managers left Wharfedale to found their own company Castle Acoustic… They returned cabinet manufacture to domesticv workshop labor, used natural veneers and such to become their new identification mark. Almost twenty years later two of the founders retired. The younger generation—in fact another group of Wharfedale directors—acquired the company to introduce new blood and a new order but honour the things which distinguished Castle from other companies… Castle was bought by brothers Michael and Bernard Chang, the owners of IAG..which includes Quad, Audiolab, Mission, Luxman, Castle, Wharfedale Pro, Quad Industrial... Wharfedale…"

An interesting book review about David Briggs of Warfedale: http://www.tnt-audio.com/books/a_pair_of_wharfedales_e.html

Interesting thread, thanks, I missed that. I don't comment on the geo-political-economics because I am here strictly for the sound of music.

I will say that the Classics are nicely built. Not like the beautiful woodwork on my 5 old Castles units made in England. Nothing is as heavy duty as it was "back in the day", at least not at our modest price range.
My new car is not built heavy duty like my 54 Chev or my 56 Cadallac etc, but is actually better technologically. Better in many ways, but built cheaper.
I would love to have those Wharfedale's flagship Airdale Heritage speakers.

The Ushers went a lone time ago, treble was too hot even for me and the midrange a little grey/ colourless, the smoothness and richness of the Creek couldn't help with either of these traits. They reminded me a little of my Proac's only a lot less refined and just a little too far from the neutral to justify keeping them.

which was why i had to replace them with the Wharfes. if i had the storage and fund they'd have been an interesting pair to keep tho.

which was why i had to replace them with the Wharfes. if i had the storage and fund they'd have been an interesting pair to keep tho.

They are not bad speakers (Usher) but I think they would require careful matching in order to draw out the best from them.

I just got my replacement pair of 11L's back and I listened to them for about half an hour and they have a pretty crisp dry sound at the moment but not unpleasant, reminds me of a bigger version of the Spendor SA 1.

Good luck. I hope you are happy with them. Mine must be warmed up by now although I don't really hear a difference from new except that I am playing them louder now. The Mfgr says 50 hrs run in time. I probably am prejudiced in favor of their sound since I am also listening to near cousins: Quad 11L, Castle Severn, Castle Richmond, Rogers LS3/5A.

Back
Top Bottom