QUAD 303 x 2?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by Rociante, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Rociante

Rociante New Member

Hello AK,

For the last month I have been enjoying a QUAD 33/303 setup that i found and restored, paired with a set of KEF 104ab and Thorens 150. It is my main system, built on a scarce budget (a lot of looking), and the decision to keep everything more or less in the same era has been part of the fun of putting it together. In my search for a matching tuner (FM2/3), i have now come across an offer to buy a FM3 plus another 303. So my question is whether, in your opinion, it is worth getting a second 303 for use in parallel with the one i got now? What results can I expect with the speakers I have got?

Cheers
    /V

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

If you use one 303 per speaker, and connect both outputs (2 X 50W) your sound will be only 3dB louder. Some benefit, but not a lot.

A friend bridged two 303s. That made a huge difference in power and sounded great. But he was a pro, and I have no idea how he did it.

If the price is right, regardless of power output, I would grab it.

3. Rociante

Rociante New Member

Thank you for your feedback Bimasta. The seller made me an offer i couldn't refuse, so I ended up getting them.
    My speakers may be on the hungry side (for their size), but I feel there is enough power as it is. Will be interesting to see if i get better separation and an audible improvement using parallel to start. Otherwise I suppose I will make enough back on the 303, I could count the tuner as "free".

4. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

I didn't notice you're a newcomer, Rociante, so welcome to our brilliant, crazy little society.

If I were in your lucky position — 2 Quad 303s, and all your options are good — I'd start with one, playing normal stereo, until you know its sound characteristics. Then try two, operating as mono — you'll need a Y-splitter so each amp gets only the L or the R input, and run two pairs of speaker wire from the L and R outputs to the corresponding speaker's inputs.

A 3dB boost in power will help with macrodynics and transients — obviously stereo separation and imaging will be better, though you'll have to see if the improvement will "blow you away" or not — and you'll able to put each amp very close to its speaker. Ironically, and for reasons I don't understand, very short speaker cables with long interconnects from the preamp, sound better than the opposite.

And please report back to us with a comparative review. Many of us are in the same situation: we have identical stereo amps (needn't be Quads) and will repeat your experiment, depending on your results.

5. Rociante

Rociante New Member

Yes, I am a novice and newcomer indeed. I've spent a lot of time reading on this wonderful forum, but rarely post. Your reminder to take a step back and enjoy really reminded me to do so. Since I got bitten with this bug, I have had a manic tendency to buy/swap/sell, witch has granted me a great system for no net cost, sure... But now, I'm there, and should ENJOY.
    Restoring the other 303 will have to take it's time, but if I get to combining them, I will be sure to let you know how it went.
    Also, I would not attempt this operation myself, but with a skilled good friend, as to not blow everything up.
    Thank you :)

6. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

I didn't know it needed work, so previous suggestions no longer apply. What's the problem with it? There are some very experienced guys here on AK who may be able to help.

I had the FM3. It has a great sound. The knock on it was selectivity: it couldn't tune in on some stations. This was attributed to there being far fewer stations in UK than the US, so the selectivity wasn't needed. I can't comment on that as I was using it overseas. What matters is if it can bring in the stations you like — if so, they'll sound great.

Getting it free doesn't hurt.

Please register to disable this ad.