QUAD 33, 303, & FM3

Bill Beausol

So I have a complete set consisting of a 33 pre-amp, 303 power amp, and FM3 tuner. All are working well with all the connectors and wires etc.

I am thinking of selling the set, (Not to worry about me abandoning QUAD; I have another upgraded 33, an upgraded 405/2, and a 909 but that is on the block so I can get a 606. If anybody is interested in knowing why I would sell a 909 to get a 606, there is actually a rational reason.)

Anyway, I am thinking that I could sell the 33 system or use it in my basement workshop to drive a set of KEF C-55's. I have an integrated amp and tuner that live in the shop now and work just fine but the QUAD would fit better. So I am torn. Seams like a shame to use QUAD separates in a shop a couple of hours a week for background music. Seems it should be on display and working in a more civilized venue.

Is using QUAD separates in a basement workshop heresy?

No, it is not heresy. If you enjoy it, all is well. But to sell a 909 to get a 606 I don't understand.

My main system is a pair of Magnepan MG 3.6R's. I am going to bi--amp them. I have the electronic crossover and a pair of DB Systems DB-6M mono amps I plan to use on the woofer panels (below 200Hz) and want to use a QUAD current dumping amp on top, I plan to do the Dada/Amplifier Surgeon upgrades to the QUAD and don't want to carve up a perfect 909. With a 606, I would feel free to play around with it get it maximized as a midrange/tweeter amp.

Back
Top Bottom