Quad 33 amp options

LordDisco

Hi,

A totally noob question here - in a fit of pique I have just bought a Quad 33, I am not however in possesion of a Quad 303. Is this the only option I have or can the 33 output to any other amplifier until such time as I can afford a 303?

The Quad 33 has a maximum output of .5v and would have to be modified to a higher gain for many amps to reach full power,

You could always source a Quad 405 copy. I'm really enjoying mine paired with a Schiit Saga preamp. It's really challenging my identity (thought tube amps were better though this combo just keeps improving). The copies are new so no recap necessary

It depends what standard you are used to. A Quad 33 will not impress if you have owned better preamps.

It depends what standard you are used to. A Quad 33 will not impress if you have owned better preamps.

Matches everything I've read about them. The preamps aren't that great.... On the other hand I suspect that the reviews with people who disliked the Quad 405 power amp probably had a Quad preamp in front.

The power amp is pretty special considering the low cost of acquisition. Seems to sound like whatever you put in front of it. I believe someone in the past once described the 405 as "straight wire with gain". That's a pretty apt description.

I'd pass on the preamp.

If you are going after a Quad 405, go for the Mk2 version. There are valid differences to the design.
I have links somewhere to some very good information regarding the 405. It has full description of it in all it's iterations and also has a whole bunch of upgrades you can do to improve them. I will look it out and see if I can post a link.

edit: Found it. http://www.keith-snook.info/quad-stuff.html
Look over the whole site. There is a wealth of information about Quad amps and others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom