Quad Bob- Check it Out:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice Box!

Yep, its a great looking box! Got one myself which has a place of honor on top of my audio cabinet!:D

Now take a look at these two:

QRX-8001

QRX-9001

If you read the descriptions on both of these you'll see they're described as "mint" and completely functional.

Well, I have the QRX-8001 here in my shop for restoration. Right off the Front left channel output is about 50% of the right front.........and there is NO output from the decoder section at all!

I got to check out the QRX-9001 yesterday at its new owner's house........it has NO output in the front left channel in any mode other than hall, and no front channel output in the other decoder modes.

Both of these.........as well as 100% of all "unrestored" QRX-8001/9001 receivers suffer from cold pass through solder joints, which to repair properly requires the receiver to be completely disassembled.........no cleaning of pots, calibration, or minor repair will solve these problems. And, if you think that you've found the ONE that doesn't have it........either the seller is lying, doesn't know to check for it, or just omits the detail that all four channels don't work at the same time in all modes!

Now the above fact is well known by owners of the QRX-8001/9001.......and all of us that frequent the QQ Forum. But, for any of you here at AK looking at getting into one of these.......I just want you to understand the reality of these great 25yr old receivers. The pass through joint problem is not something that any "bench tech" is going to resolve in 1 or 2 hours on the bench! It is a nightmare to get into.......and you can easily plan on 10-12 hours of bench time JUST to repair this one problem!!

Other than that though........they are the greatest quad receivers ever designed and built!:D And, if you don't plan on listening to it.................it is a very nice box!;)

Hi Q-Bob:

I agree 100% with what youre saying in terms of these quad units being Great, but due to their age, require a thorough Inspection- preferably by someone who possesses the skill and genuine interest do the job- such as yourself :) Unfortunately, most of the typical repair shops are either not able to, or unwilling to, make a devoted effort to really going thru any one unit as they feel it just not worth the time & work to do it, especially when they have units waiting to be serviced from other customers, thus not cost-effective for them to labor over anyone's particular model for too long. The attitude seems to be 'collect the hourly labor charge, change the bad parts that make themselves known to be obviosuly bad and then move on to the next guys item that he/she brought in' and that is, if youre lucky that they still can get the part which will most likely cost a small-fortune. And this applies to many other things as well, not just hi fi equipment- I experienced this myself the other week when I brought in my car ('87 Honda Accord DX) to the garage- no problem for the garage to replace the exhaust system components, but when I mentioned checking the carburator because the car was idling rough- they acted like they didnt want to touch it at all (because it would require a little bit of time & skill to determine the cause of the problem) - The impression I got from them was like if the carb needs replacing its going to be a problem since the part is no longer made/very hard to find, and I should consider getting rid of the car and buying a newer one (Gee, how helpful). Thats why I tip my hat to anyone who has good mechanical hands-on skills to fix as much as they can by themselves- you'll save alot of $$ and you'll do the best job possible since the things you're working on belong to you.

As for that QRX-9001 you posted- I just wanted to mention that not too long ago, I did buy a Sansui amp (not a quad amp) from that Seller (adickson)and unfortunately, the transaction had to be cancelled due to some misleading information that I found out about- so I must say, he is now one seller that I do not completely trust.

B/F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom