Quality of Miles Davis on Ermitage 180 gram Vinyl

T68

Hi! Looking into buying some Miles Davis records that are discounted right now at a Swedish online shop.
The albums are Kind Of Blue and Birth of the cool on Ermitage 2011 180 gram pressing.
Anyone has any experience of these and the quality?

Hey - I don't know anything about Ermitage records, but I read a review on Discogs which said they are made using "dubious digital sources". I don't know anything about this, or the person who left the comment. Make sure you find out, because you would want an analog source. Honestly, you can find "Birth of the Cool" on Capitol and it sounds good. I have a 70's reissue. It sounds nice.

davis_miles_completeb_108b.jpg

An original Columbia of "Kind Of Blue" will cost you, no doubt. A friend of mine made a copy on CD. (I don't even know if it's a Six-Eye. I have to ask him again!)

But whatever copy you get, make sure your source is an all analog one.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying, jgannon! I might back off those Ermitage records and keep looking. ...or maybe try one of them since the price is low. We'll see :)

I don’t know anything about the Ermitage except that the Kind of Blue was marked unofficial on Discogs.

But I can say that I have and quite like the 2013 mono reissue on Columbia/Sony. It’s a remix, but they pretty much all are after a certain date. The stereo because the master was damaged, and the mono because it’s missing. Apparently, when this was done, they were making one last transfer of the 3-track master while I was still playable. They did a digital transfer, but also ran analog stereo and mono tapes at the same time and this LP was cut from that mono tape.

Anyway, it looks like it’s still available for a pretty reasonable price and might be easier to track down than older copy, even an affordable one.

I know this is an old thread. I have one of the ermitage Blue Train and it sounds really good very quiet vinyl.. now I don't have another copy to compare it against but as far as quiet vinyl I've been seemingly well reproduced its really nice...

Thanks for replying, jgannon! I might back off those Ermitage records and keep looking. ...or maybe try one of them since the price is low. We'll see :)
Check out AcousticSounds.com their pressings are fantastic, especially the 2xLP 45RPM versions (cannot be beat).

Yeah I have a couple of acoustic sounds 45 RPM records and they do sound absolutely amazing. Probably the best sounding records I own.I won't lie to you though I would take a 33 and a third made from the same tapes just because I don't feel like getting up every other song...lol

Back
Top Bottom