Quantum 2 & Q5....Same Watkins woofer?

idadude

I have a chance to purchase a pair of woofers out of Quantum 5s. Just wondering if they are the same as are originally used in the Q2s. They do have the two sets of terminals on each speaker, so I'm figuring they're Watkins made. I have a newer set of clear poly Watkins in my Q2s presently, but would like to use those in a second set of RS 2.5 cabinets that were just given to me. I'd hate to buy something that won't work right, so I need some help here. Thank you.

Larry D.

Go for it.
The gray Aquaplas paper coned Watkins in my Q2 have a larger magnet than the gray Aquaplas paper cones ones that were in my Q4s.
That being said I was using the large magnet gray poly Watkins in my QLS-1s until I replaced them with the Q4 woofers.
Without the slightest doubt, a night and day difference for the better.

I'm supposing that the Q4 & Q5 woofers are the same then since you're recommending them. I'd need to find the woofer rings to put back on the Q2s also.

Larry D.

My Q3's came with the paper coned ones and small magnets back in 1978 when I bought them. My othey set of Q3's had none when I picked them up used.
I also have a set of Q5's. So what I did a while ago was replace them all with large magnet Watkins.
I seem to get better/tighter bass on the Q3's with large magnets and alot of power behind them.
My .02

John M

Back
Top Bottom