Quantum 3 woofer foam question, among other things...

The Quantum series dome problem is a pain. The repair is a tedious one depending on where the wire has failed. The rubber cement eats the wires underneath it and eventually all will fail. I repaired 10 so far on my QLS1,2,4 There is a pair on my bench waiting to be repaired for my 3’s.
The replacement above is nice but would need to be altered for spacing on the QLS1. The 3 I don’t think there’s an issue. I would make a square adapter plate to cover the spot where the oringal one was though.
Jim

The replacement above is nice but would need to be altered for spacing on the QLS1. The 3 I don’t think there’s an issue.
I haven't taken any measurements, but on the 3, the original butts up against the EMIT's, so it appears that the replacement would need to be trimmed. I could be wrong about that, I'll have to take a closer look at it. I'm leaning toward the replacements at this point.
Thanks for the input!

Considering what the used mids sell for on eBay these replacements seem priced right. The originals once repaired properly (all that waxy glue removed from both wires) should not need repaired again and are reliable. Millersound will repair the originals I do not know what they charge for it though.

I haven't taken any measurements, but on the 3, the original butts up against the EMIT's, so it appears that the replacement would need to be trimmed. I could be wrong about that, I'll have to take a closer look at it. I'm leaning toward the replacements at this point.
Thanks for the input!

Don't cut the new replacement mids. If they touch or want to overlap the tweeter just a bit, shim the tweeter so its about 3/16" up. Then the edge of the new midrange will slide just below it.

In the Quantum 2's, the tweeters were shimmed originally so the new mids fit just fine. Just do the same with yours.

As someone else said, can cut some black plastic the same shape as the original mids for appearance if its important to you. I just used black screws to cover the holes from the old mids on the corners. This could be avoided with a plastic gasket cut to size. For me, I'm likely not going to bother with it.

01-shim.PNG

Has anyone modified the Dayton Midrange Faceplate to resemble the original square format on the Infinity's?

Back
Top Bottom