Quantum 5 pedestals: Dimensions?

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by gustavpaula, Jun 29, 2018.

1. gustavpaula

gustavpaula New Member

Hello everyone. I have owned a pair of Quantum 5 for 20 years, they are lovely speakers, especially the EMIT tweeters. Because I don't have the original Infinity sheet metal pedestals, I had the speakers on tennis balls, bricks, whatsoever for years. Now, after refoaming (for the 2nd time) and restoring the electronics I decided I should put them on their proper pedestals.
    I tried to figure out the dimensions from the few photos I found on the Internet. But there is so much uncertainty left that I thought I should ask "the experts" for help.
    Here I am, hoping someone can help. Is anyone owning these pedestals willing to take a few measurements?
    I would need to know dimensions a, b and angles alpha and beta. And of course the thickness of the sheet metal.
    Once they are finished I will post pictures of them!
    Thank you.

Regards,
    Gebhard

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

You surely like your 5's, while I don't have original stands and I'm no help for you I sent you a PM.

3. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

4. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a pair of Qb with those stands. They are not strong enough. The speakers bounce on them, I can't imagine how they would sag under the weight of a Q5...

5. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

They work fine with the Q5s the speaker just does not lean back as they do when used on my QAs. They do "bounce" but only if you initiate it not under normal operation.
    So if you build them you can make sure they will handle the weight.

6. gustavpaula

gustavpaula New Member

Thank you everyone for your comments and help.
    I am also in contact with "elnaldo" who seems to be the only forum member who actually has the stands made to measurements provided by "goat67".
    I know that discussion about the thickness of the sheet metal has been going back and forth but as no one of those who own a pair of original stands took the effort to measure the thickness with a sliding caliper, the only thickness actually tested is 5 mm (because "elnaldo" made his 5 mm). He reported they do allow his Qb to slightly rock back and forth but do not "sag". I don't know about the weight and size of the Qb cabinets compared to the Q5s which weigh 20.5 kg. From "elnaldo"'s album http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?media/albums/another-infinity-back-to-rock.662/ they seem to have the same size and loudspeakers as the Q5.
    So, I used most of his dimensions and went for a 94° angle between foot and leg. That'll compensate for the Q5s weight.
    To be on the safe side, I also made a little test before deciding on the sheet metal thickness. The stands are 12" wide with the cabinet spreading over the complete width. I put together a "slice" with all original dimension which has 1/15 of the original width, i.e. a "stand" made from a 5 x 20 mm steel and a wooden board of the dimensions of a cabinet side. Weight of the board is 1/15" of the loudspeaker ( ~ 1.37 kg).
    IMG_20180714_105501770.jpg
    Sag is next to zero.
    goat67, I assume there is a slight issue with your Q5 stands.
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?attachments/q5_2-jpg.198546/
    From that picture it looks like the angle between foot and leg is just slighty above 90° but the issue seems to be that the angle between the cabinet underside and the leg is less than 90°. Maybe the connection between the speaker and the stand (3 screws) is loose or the stand is not fully seated on the speaker's back panel? Hard to tell from the pictures...
    The Q5 sales brochure (pic in my original post) clearly shows the Q5 leans backwards.

And elnaldo's stands also make the speaker lean backwards:
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?media/stand_p1070043.12000/

Anyway, thanks everyone.

Please register to disable this ad.