Quantum Jr....Some People

ivandezande

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked these up for not much, forgot to take a before picture. The guy blew the Emit's a long time ago so instead put Dayton piezos with a block of wood where they were. Thank god it didn't leave marks in the cab.
Two tinsel leads on the mids were broken that I fixed but still what the heck.
He refoamed the woofers a long time ago but he used a smaller dust cap and put the gaskets on backwards so they were hideous. Look a little better now.
I have the grills but the cloth is about to fall off.
The cabs are very stained on top but perfect everywhere else.

Is trying to find Emit's worth it? Or save my time and part out to save other speakers? (Except none of the drivers are in the best shape...)

IMG_6073.jpeg

IMG_6074.jpeg

Last edited:
Assuming the other drivers work OK, I'd pick up a pair of EMITs on eBay. Definitely worth it. You should be able to lightly sand down the tops and restain them.

Assuming the other drivers work OK, I'd pick up a pair of EMITs on eBay. Definitely worth it. You should be able to lightly sand down the tops and restain them.
They do surprisingly, the pots are ok too except for one.
Good to know, wasn't sure the veneer was thick. What should I use to stain it? (If you know anyways ha)

That's why I said to sand lightly, not sure how thick it is, but you should be able to get that stain out if you're careful.

I have what swechler suggested on a site right now. Came out of RSbs. I ended up getting kappa 7s with emit k tweeters. So I'm not keeping them for spares.I have two dust covers that I ended up not using from a project I was going to do, but didn't happen. If you happen across the site and find my Emits. Message me and let me know that you are from this thread at ak. I'll send the dust covers with them.

Last edited:
Picked these up for not much, forgot to take a before picture. The guy blew the Emit's a long time ago so instead put Dayton piezos with a block of wood where they were. Thank god it didn't leave marks in the cab.
Two tinsel leads on the mids were broken that I fixed but still what the heck.
He refoamed the woofers a long time ago but he used a smaller dust cap and put the gaskets on backwards so they were hideous. Look a little better now.
I have the grills but the cloth is about to fall off.
The cabs are very stained on top but perfect everywhere else.

Is trying to find Emit's worth it? Or save my time and part out to save other speakers? (Except none of the drivers are in the best shape...)

View attachment 1316445

View attachment 1316446
I just refinished a set of RS3006 speakers and I touched up the tops of my kappa 7s. From what I've worked with. It appears that there veneers are moderately thick for a veneer. I used 120 grit sand paper. It's a little more time consuming using that fine of a grit. But no worries concerning oversanding. It appears your going to want to do what I did with my kappa. Just the top. Minwax has a huge selection of stains. Find the closest match. Use painter's tape on upper outer perimeter of cabinet to thr edge. Sand with the grain of the veneer. Don't cross sand. It will come to a point that the veneer will be free of the clear coat. The stained area will pop out at you. Work on just that area until everything seems to blend together. Then take a damp cloth to get rid of any debris. When damp you will see what still needs to be worked on. Once satisfied. It time to stain. Apply light coat. Let sit for 5 to 10 min. Then wipe off with a dry none shedding rag. Continue to do this process until you have a match. Then clear coat the top. It will look like new.

As soon as I read the title of this thread, I thought of plant ring stains!

Definitely get some EMITs, they are still available in Barter Town and even on Ebay (though prices have gone up!). These are good speakers, save them!

This set would be a great addition to anyones system. Refinished, they will look like a peace of art. Vintage quality and style. The boxes on these speakers are certainly workable. I had a set of RSb speakers that the cabinets were so bad that I had to put Brad's in the corners and use wood fill to build them back up. Even after that. I ended up painting them.:( I was disappointed enough, that I didn't complete the project. I had the Emits and the mids. I only needed the woofers. Hense,the Emits that are Available.

I would try Howards restore a finish on them, my quantum jar's had stains like that and with a little muscle you can get that stain out. I also agree get some emits and put them back to original. You will not be disappointed.

I just looked at these on ebay. I see that this model takes the rectangular Emit. Also notice the restored set and its sale price. Wow! With shipping, your looking at about 1G. Yeah, restore! If nothing else, sell them.

Back
Top Bottom