Quantum Jr Woofers

engelder2

Hello,
I picked up a pair of Quantum Juniors today for $10, but both are missing the midrange and one is missing the emit tweeter. My question is about the woofers used in this model. I could have sworn one of the woofers was not original but when I removed them they both had the same markings on the magnet "3514 2977". Both cones are paper, but the woofer with the darker paper cone (this is not the doped paper version) had a much rougher backing along with a secondary layer of gray paper damping material closer to the voice coil with additional marking of "776902" printed on the inside of the cone. The spiders for both look about the same age so I don't think the cone was ever replaced. I found a serial number for one but not the other cabinet, "6714605" if that helps. I think one woofer was replaced in the cabinet with a more current model at the time as I find it difficult someone would buy the pair with different looking woofers. Any help on these woofers would be appreciated!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Just curious, are the serial numbers in sequence?
Seems like Infinity did that with some of their models.
Back when I bought a couple pair of RS series Infinitys new, the salesman just grabbed two boxes from the back room. Serial numbers if the stars aligned might actually be sequential but more often they weren't.
If your serial numbers aren't sequential, perhaps the original buyer couldn't see the difference in the cones as they were factory sealed boxes.
OR--maybe this is one of those rare cases where one really was reconed and not the modern day autocorrect reconed instead of refoamed.

Pretty much the same woofers. I would just very lightly spray paint them both flat black, put new surrounds in them and enjoy. (If you're not a fuss budget just replace the surrounds...) Most likely one of them was replaced with another similar infinity woofer from the dealer many years ago when misfortune took the original.

You'll have to spend some money for those mids and tweeter but they are a kick ass pair of monitors when working correctly.
Jim

Hello goodolpg,
I have the serial number for one cabinet but not the other so I can't determine if they were made consecutively. Also, the spiders look to be about the same age and there appears to be no indication that the actual cones were replaced so I think both woofers are original. I will probably go ahead and refoam them both but I just wonder if the T/S parameters are close enough to produce similar sound.

One of my favorite speakers! I have have two sets they are keepers in my book. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom