Queensryche's Empire, reference material?

Two of my favorite tracks are Holy Cole's version of Tango Til They're Sore from Temptation and the Robert Wasserman and Jennifer Warnes version of Ballad Of The Runaway Horse from his Duets. She also has a version but the one off his Duets album is the one to have.

These are also two of the better tracks to use to adjust speaker placement, subwoofer integration and find room issues.

For a guilty pleasure, Nicolett Larson's Lotta Love has a lot of stuff going on and is a pretty fun song that I think is too often ignored.
I revisited this song recently, and it's really great.

That's awesome!

Tell him he owes me at least $10 for turning like 20 people onto them from 1984 - 1988. :thumbsup:

Jim probably owes me a bit more. ;)

Here you go Brother, John and I having a little fun at my house with a few of my guitars

n5jGEzo.jpg

Geoff Tate is the greatest vocalist to ever draw breath, and everything he's ever recorded is officially recognized as the standard for sound quality. Don't believe me? Just ask him.

Some people like Queensryche, their music speaks to them. I get that.

Reference quality recording? I decided to revisit it, so I pulled up the disc. Reference quality? No. Not close. No way. This is a dead sounding studio multi-track mash up that isn't close to having any natural decay structure or resolution. Some songs sound better than others, but its mediocre at best.

Like the music, and I grew up in the Ryche's glory days. But not a reference album in my book.

Regards
Mister Pig

I'll be curious to hear it again, not streaming. The disc is in storage, has been since 2002. Maybe I'm gilding the lily, but I did like Della Brown for the bass quality.

After another listen, I cannot endorse Empire as a setup reference. It was great to put it on again, though. For system setup I have used several different albums over time. Lately, I've been falling back to Rickie Lee Jones first record, and I've recently added Suzanne Vega's Nine Objects Of Desire.

After another listen, I cannot endorse Empire as a setup reference. It was great to put it on again, though. For system setup I have used several different albums over time. Lately, I've been falling back to Rickie Lee Jones first record, and I've recently added Suzanne Vega's Nine Objects Of Desire.

Funny, those are two discs out of 30 go to discs I also use. But I do like the RLJ Naked Songs as a reference disc a bit more.

Regards
Mister Pig

I use Brian Eno's Written, Forgotten to find out if there are any problems with bass drivers.. or if there's anything loose in my listening room.

If even a couple of engineers have done it, his claim has weight. Whether it has value is a little more subjective. I rather like Empire, and I use it because I am familiar with it, there's enough going on to keep it interesting. It's one of those albums that was recorded well enough that it sounds at least decent even on inexpensive gear, and yet gets better as the quality of playback gear goes up. I'm not going to argue the relative merits of Empire as an industry standard reference piece, I personally don't think it's that good. Close, but not that good. Still, I know a lot of musicians that like it a lot, for any number of reasons. It's DEFINITELY a well-known and much respected collection of songs. Say what you will about Tate & Co, and the pitfalls of egos that match the talent, Empire is still a really good album.

Ya know, I am going to purchase a Japanese JASRAC copy of the disc. I wouldn't much be using the 1st gen commercial American LP release, IMO, CD had taken over by then, the already worn LP presses were getting no further attention. So no, that's not where I want to be, nor do I want to fork any real coin over for a re-issue. I have no comment on overseas LP version, I have no experience with them.
Being a CD guy here makes me a bit of an enigma, but I really took to the format and have always put my dollars into good players. With time, I noticed the English and Japanese versions typically had the SQ I was looking for, followed by the German productions.
So, as I was thinking about my old copy (American) and the SQ, along with the comments in this thread, (working hard to attempt to not let dissenting opinions effect my recall), I do feel the bass work and overall fidelity was ok. What I think failed was the congestion during the most dynamic passages, and the general midrange tone being fairly hard, or brassy.
That said, the EQ'ing of the Japanese discs can be quite different, more carefully thought out. So for ~$10, I'll get one and give it a run through the Vitus, with a different system than I had then.
I'll be looking forward to sharing my impressions.

I've liked the first 5 queensryche albums my whole life, compared to their contemporaries at the time I'd say their stuff tends to be recorded better than most and I think it still sounds pretty good but I would never consider it reference quality..

Can't speak for the CD version, but the record sounds pretty freakin' good. I think it's an original, 1990 EMI, thin as tissue paper.

Back
Top Bottom