Question about a older Kenwood receiver

Jupiter1610

I just purchased an older Kenwood KR-2090 off of e-bay, and was wondering if anybody could provide me with information on this model. How much did it originally sell for? What were it's major competeriors? Has anyone had any personal experience with the piece? My father had a tape deck of the same era, so I know that the build quality should be good, but how about sonic traits? Any information would be great, thanks.

Looks like it was offered in '78. 16WPC @ 0.1% THD. Retailed for $215.

Pretty budget model, and I have no idea what it was competing with.

I had a KR-2090, got it for $25 at GW. It had the original box as well...it went for $26+shipping when I ebayed it. :(

Was dodgy when I first got it home, but a thorough cleaning brought it to life. No real sonic flaws at all, just a nice little SS amp. Played strong and clean, more so than you'd expect a low-power amp to play (though that's typical of low-power receivers from this era, my 15wpc SX-450 is like that too). Tuner was better than a receiver at that price level should have, super sensitive.

TP

Excellant, thank you both very much. Any idea where it would have fit into Kenwood's line at the time? Would this have been kind of an entry high-end type of piece, sort of an NAD today?

It was an entry-level unit, competing with the Pioneer SX-450 and other basic budget receivers. Probably the bottom of the line, but no slouch by any means.

TP

Back
Top Bottom