Question about Dolby Atmos, got a new Yammy coming.

Spykez0129

So I got a Yammy A770 coming in the mail so I can start toying around with Atmos.

So my speaker setup currently is Polk Audio RTi8 sides and the matching center which I think was a CSi5? That sounds right. Using a garbage Polk PSW10 sub but I got an SVS PB1000 coming too.

I have Fluance Bipolar speakers mounted for surrounds (they sound so cool compared to direct radiating). I'd have spent more on a better pair but I wanted to try them out first and they actually sound great for the cost so decided I'm keeping them.

I ordered some Pioneer Andrew Jones atmos upfiring speakers but just started thinking. I got an unused pair of Audioengine P4 bookshelf speakers and some wall mounts that I used for them back when I had them for my surrounds.

Would it be better to mount the bookshelf speakers up top? I imagine they'd work better than a smaller atmos trying to bounce sound off a ceiling.

If that IS a better option, how far up do i need to mount them and where do I direct the sound to? Down towards the listeners or just straight across?

Doing ceiling is a no go as I'm in an apartment.

Thank you for those who are able to get me in the right direction :D

Last edited:
In the diagrams I've seen, if using 2 Atmos speakers, it's best if the speakers can be ceiling mounted. They should be in front of the main listening area, aimed down towards it. Similar to this, but a little more forward than this, so the speakers can be aimed properly toward the listeners.

Atmos_5_1_2-Configuration-rendering.jpg

Ya, maybe if/when I move and can screw with the ceiling I'll redo it. I got a hole of SVS to get their opinion on it and they don't typically like ceiling speakers because of the limited frequency range most people are going to deal with and since I can't do side mounted upper wall they said my best bet is mounting up on the wall as close to the ceiling I can get as wide as my normal speakers pointing down at listeners. Upward firing is a bit gimmicky and you aren't going to get as good of an effect vs the mounting bookshelves up.

So, we'll see. Only thing this has cost me so far is time which I have plenty of. Already had the speakers and mounts so worst case scenerio is I take them down or it sounds just good enough that I leave them up.

Another option is something like the Omnimount speaker bracket which can be mounted to wall or hung from ceiling. Each bracket takes two screws, plenty of holding strength IF you are into a stud.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014JUDRZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Speaker wires are routed and held in place with plastic coated staples. It's easy to fill holes with spackle or paint when it comes time to move.
I hung four Polk RTi A1 speakers from a 7'8" ceiling. The bottom edge of a speaker is 6'4" off the floor. Their locations were based on the atmos spec, equidistant from "main" listening point, far enough away for a bit of spread.
SVS could be referring to generic or inadequate ceiling speakers. There are some good ones that aren't stupid expensive. From what I've read, the upfiring modules are effective but pricey. Do your research?
I went with two pair of Polks because my fronts and center are Polk. timbre/voice matching.
Omnimount.jpg

It is always best to put a speaker where you want the sound to be coming from. Since you want sound from above, it is best if you put speakers above, rather than trying to bounce the sound off of the ceiling from down low.

The reason for using speakers down low that face upward is because many people can't (or won't) mount speakers up high. There can be good reason for that, as, for example, when one is renting and one does not want to mount things on walls and ceilings, which may cause one to lose one's deposit.

As for where to mount them, Stimpywan gave good advice when giving you a link to the Dolby website. You might also find some articles like this useful:

https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/can-i-use-regular-speakers-as-dolby-atmos-upfiring

Another option is something like the Omnimount speaker bracket which can be mounted to wall or hung from ceiling. Each bracket takes two screws, plenty of holding strength IF you are into a stud.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014JUDRZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Speaker wires are routed and held in place with plastic coated staples. It's easy to fill holes with spackle or paint when it comes time to move...
I like what you did. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

I like what you did. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the nod. I was waiting for the right thread to post the idea. You can see the wires for the rear pair along the left. The Spouse Approval Factor may be a consideration. Mine loves the theater sound and the idea that all equipment and evidence can be removed when we move.

a0bnbua.jpg

I ended up with this. With the new Yammy, Atmos has 3 configurable options for speaker placements and mine are one of them. After getting them all setup and distance/levels set, they actually work great where they're at. Tested a bunch of movies like the beginning fight in Pacific Rim and has the thunder crackling above me and transitions into the other speakers like it should. The newer Star Trek movies are incredible with all the ship sounds out in space.

And the best so far was Mad Max Fury Road. WOOOOO HOOOO that movie has some crazy sound.

So ya. Front mounted up top works perfectly. Would probably sound better with it directly above but, this will work until I get my own house.

Well had a Yamaha diss atmos reciever,had problems with it so swapped it for a denon,730h,have Polk t15 mounted
High front Sony core front Sony core center Polk t15 rears and a Polk sub,it sounds great.first denon av reciever
Ever owned am very happy with it.got open box at a great price,the extra money I got on the swap paid for the
Sony core speakers.

Back
Top Bottom