Question about Eico HF-85 Preamp

artdecoradio

I recently found a nice Eico HF-85 preamp. The only thing missing is the metal mesh top (cage). However, I have a junk Eico HFT-90 tuner with a perfect top! The only problem is that, while the top from the HFT-90 is exactly the same size as the top that I need for the HF-85, the top from the HFT-90 does not have the "cutout" in the rear for the various jacks, etc. which are present on the HF-85. So, I need to cut out a small portion of the metal mesh in the rear to make it fit on the HF-85. Question: Has anyone else done this? I'd like to know what is the best and easiest way to make a nice clean cut-out of the mesh so that it looks as good as possible. I'm afraid that I'l use the wrong tools, etc. and really mangle the top when I try to cut it. Thanks.

Last edited:
If you can find the right size and shape Greenlee punch, that's probably your best bet. They make a clean hole. You may be able to borrow one.

If the hole is not a size that matches any punch, you may have to cut it yourself. A jig saw with a metal-cutting blade could do it but you will need to file the edges when done.

If you have a Dremel tool or similar rotary tool, use a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel. If you don't, get a decent pair of aviation snips.

If you have a Dremel tool or similar rotary tool, use a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel. If you don't, get a decent pair of aviation snips.
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The metal is really thick and it's going to be very difficult to cut, especially with snips. I'm almost thinking of taking it to a professional metal-working shop to get it cut with some pro-tools. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried to do this. Of course, I'd love to find an exact replacement for the cage from a "junk" HF-85 which already has the cut-out, but that is going to be impossible in my view!

Back
Top Bottom