Question about Knight KG-50 Tuner/KG-400 Tube Amp

A 7025 is a 12AX7 with extra internal bracing to reduce microphonics. It's mostly a moot point distinctions after the mid-1960s as 12AX7s got the internal bracing also. You'll see some old Sylvanias that say 12AX7/7025.

Thanks for the info on the 12ax7. Now to see if anyone can help with the schematics. I have spent several hours looking through google, I even looked on ebay to see if I could purchase a set of sams. I have had no luck finding the schematics. Can anyone out here help?

...Now to see if anyone can help with the schematics. I have spent several hours looking through google, I even looked on ebay to see if I could purchase a set of sams. I have had no luck finding the schematics. Can anyone out here help?
These people indicate that they have Assembly/Operator Manual for the Allied/Knight KG-400. May be worth inquiring if it has the schematic in it.
http://www.classicradiomanuals.com/catalog/news110.htm (near end of page)
http://www.agtannenbaum.com/a_cat.htm (half way down page)
http://www.radioera.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=488 (scroll to end)
I have no affiliation with any of them.

Hey Tinkerbelle, I owe you one!
I missed it on the first site when I was there, not sure how. I have sent off a couple of emails. If I am lucky enough to get a copy, I'll post a thread with it so that no one else has to buy it.

Thanks again,
Mark

I have the schematics on the way! Thanks again Tinkerbelle.
I'll start a new thread with the schematics posted there when I start the rebuild on my kg-400's.

Mark

Hey Mark, that's great news; I'm glad you've got the schematic coming. :thmbsp: Look forward to following your new thread.

I'm curious to see the circuit - I found one for my friend which was already meticulously restored, and since it was functional, I never bothered to figure out how it worked. The main quirk is that the output tube cathode bias supplies the phono stage filaments, so warm-up time is extended. Sounded nice, though, esp. for what he paid!

I can't tell you how much I paid for my pair(yes, I got two in one deal) or I might go to jail.:D

I'll likely get the schematics mid-end opf next week. It'll take me a couple of days to scan them in, but I'll post then.

Hello, I recently bought a tube amp running push and pull its knight is using a four-bulb lamps L84 and four 12AX7 but so too should the former not know what it is used with or speaker, and power is How many have you any tips for me to know it, or guide is good too. I sincerely thank you

Hello, I recently bought a tube amp running push and pull its knight is using a four-bulb lamps L84 and four 12AX7 but so too should the former not know what it is used with or speaker, and power is How many have you any tips for me to know it, or guide is good too. I sincerely thank you
Hi and welcome to AK. Do you have a model number or can you post a photograph so that we can try to identify this? Is this an integrated amp or a straight power amp?

EL84s will produce around 15 watts per channel (Stromberg did 12W, Dyna got 17.5W). Knight is one of the hardest brands to find data for, but I have a few schematics.

Not to bring back old memories from 2009, but I just read this blog and had to add my two cents.
I have the original assembly manuals for both the KG-50 and KG-400 scanned into my computer. You are welcome to a copy if you still need them. Let me know and I will post them here...
The KG-50 / KG-400 pair was an excellent matched system for the few bucks it went for in its hay day. I don’t remember exactly what it all cost me, but I think the amp was around $60 bucks and the tuner was around $73 bucks. A lot of cash for a 14 year-old with only a paper route back in 1964, but worth it since this was Allied Knight’s best all-around stereo kit for that year. The wooden mahogany cases were around $ 9 bucks extra each. I bought them later after I raised the extra cash.

I got both kits with my paper route money and built the amp and the tuner both in one week, back in the summer of 1964.

With a good set of speakers connected to the system, it had a great full warm tone. I was amazed the first time I turned it on and heard it play.

Not the most powerful system on earth – (with only 32 watts RMS per channel), but enough power to drive a pair of 12 inch speakers with a really nice warm full tone. After 52 years, I still have and use the system. I have it in my radio restoration work shop and turn it on every time I’m in there working. I still have the original assembly manuals to both units too and they are in great condition. As I mentioned, if anybody needs a copy, I have them scanned into my PC and would be happy to post them both.

Of course I had to recap both the amp and the tuner a few years back, but that’s to be expected --- kind of like a brake job on your car.

The amp is a full two channel stereo with push / pull circuit technology and the tuner has full multiplex technology, giving it great sound comparable to anything out there today. For $125 bucks, you would have gotten a good deal and been very happy with it, even if you had to recap them both before you could use it, which would have been very cheap$$...

You would have liked its performance and the simplicity of maintaining it. The engineers designed it to be as simple as possible allowing both units to use simple inexpensive components, making a full restoration cheap, cost-effective, and easy to do. It only cost around $30 bucks to completely recap them both.

Sorry you passed on that one. Maybe you will get another chance to get one some day.
I posted a picture of my two units as they are today – after restoring them.

Attachments

• DSCF0462.JPG
    DSCF0462.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0449.JPG
    DSCF0449.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the info and the story....great memories. The two components look fantastic, too. Really nice. I bet you're glad you went back and got the wood cases!

Back
Top Bottom