Question about Promo vinyl albums

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I guess I've never looked at the DW info on my small promo album collection. Well the other day I snagged a dollar promo of Paul Simon ~Graceland~ and considered selling it with my sell pile. Listening to it, with phones on, and not in what I thought was a solid VG (which is below my keep status); I'm discovering this is a clean, very accurate sounding album. So my question is; if an album is a promo is it normally a first press (since a promo is usually to get the album out there)?

Joe

I'm unsure about the specifics of promo copies but just recently I snagged a Human League 'Dare' promo while on my 80s binge and my experience was the same as yours, 1st rate with excellent sonics.
While they always appear to sell for a higher price, I plan on keeping my eye peeled for more of these in the future.

I own several promo copies and they all sound good.

Maybe they are a limited run or something.

My promo of Ahmad Jamal's Digital Works is pretty much as reported so far. One of the cleanest sounding LPs I have. Just absolutely crisp'n'clean outer most rings to inner most. I bought it used and figured there was a good chance everyone in the chain would have taken at least reasonable care of it along the way

As far as I knew, promo copies were just advance copies of albums yet to be released to stores. The odd time, the album never actually made it to stores. Working in conjunction with a record buyer in a retail environment, I noticed music company reps frequently hand out promo copies to store staff to acquire feedback. I wound up with several myself and other than an embossed stamp on the jacket and a disclaimer on the label, there was nothing distinctive about them over a consumer copy that I could tell. None struck me as being superior sound wise.

The promo albums I have are -- pretty much across the board -- in better shape than their regular counterparts, often strikingly so. I have always chalked it up to the -- admittedly speculative -- scenario of them getting one spin on the radio station turntable before the DJ decided he or she didn't like them and relinquished them to the archives.

Promo LPs (especially WLP versus simply "stamped" on cover) tend to be great pressings as they were designed to entice or be played on radio. That said, many non WLP have exact matrix match and although lack the cache of WLP can sound awesome.

There is a great thread on here somewhere of a "show us your WLP" labels.

My most recent was a Garcia solo (first LP) from WB. However it sounds no better than my early press WB Green.

Back
Top Bottom