Question about Sansui "Sound"

Marantzaholic

Hi, I would like to ask the Sansui experts here how they think that Sansui "sounds" as compared to other well known brands such as Marantz, Pioneer or even Kenwood.

I realize that this is a highly subjective subject, and somewhat hard to pin down, so maybe it would be easier to say what qualities you like about your Sansui receivers or amps. Also, what types of speakers do you use with your Sansui equipment.

Long ago (when I was about 10) my first real Hi fi piece was a Sansui 6060 receiver. I loved it until it broke and I did not have the money or the sense to get it repaired properly... Still kicking myself to this day. :mad: Anyway, I am thinking about possibly gettting another Sansui piece of that vintage.

Although I am a diehard Marantz fan (you'd never guess though I'm sure... :D ) I would like to see if I am missing out on anything here. I've owned some Pioneer and I liked it, but not enough to trade up. Same with Yamaha. Both outstanding brands, just not quite up to the sound that I am used to.

Beatlefred, you are the acknowledged Sansui Guru here... What are some of the things you find Sansui does best? Thanks for your input!

Best regards... Chris.

My impression based on listening to my Sansui AU-555 is that the sound has more definition, greater presence and fuller body. It's difficult to express in words, but those are some of the words I would use.

Last night I was listening to a piece of Baroque music. Often the harpsichord is buried in back of the music. But in this CD the harpisichord sounded fantastic. It might have been partially due to the quality of the CD, but I have also had similar experiences with other CDs when listening to them through the Sansui. I hear things I haven't heard before. It's like watching a movie a couple of times and finding things that one didn't notice at first. Perry

Hi Chris:

No need to torment yourself over the 6060 you once had :bash: , its time to recite a 'daily affirmation' and forgive yourself :)

I highly recommend the 7070, the next model up which gives you some extra watts and the nice power meters. And the price should be quite reasonable, compared to a 9090DB which costs more, as its TOTL. If you liked the 6060, then you are sure to like the 7070. If you are inclined to spend more, then you can go for the gusto and acquire a 9090 (DB or non DB).

In my case, I have a superb pair of Infinity speakers, so I do have to say, while I do like my Sansui ampilfiers very much, it is important to have a really good pair of loudspeakers and a decent room to set them up properly in, in order to obtain good quality hi fi sound reproduction. Having that really allows you to get alot of enjoyment from music-listening.

Regards,

B/F :king:

Back
Top Bottom