Question about Sonance Sonamp 260 MKII

Ma61

Hi everyone,
I just obtained a Sonance Sonamp 260 MKII and I would like to hook it up
with my existing receiver and speakers, but I am having a hard time trying to figure it out.

I have a Denon avr-1312, N.E.A.R. 50ML speakers(with dual inputs), and an older polk psw100 sub.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

The amp:
02-16-12-P1220570.JPG

Receiver:
c26-denon-1312-2-l.png

What exactly do you want it to do?

With no front pre-out on the receiver I have no idea what you think you can do with this,do you?

Also if the amp pic is of your unit you are going to have to repair that one terminal anyway.

Ed

I would like to run the lower range on my speakers with that sonamp, and the highs with the Denon.

Clearly I have no idea what I think I can do with this or else I wouldnt be on the internet asking questions.. lol.

These are generic pictures to display what the back of the units look like.

If that rec. is no good for this task, how about this Technics su-g90?
technicssug90bk.jpg

You need a Pre-Out from any receiver to run any external amplifier in the way you are asking.

Neither receiver you show has a Pre-out?

You would also need an Electronic Crossover to divide the full range sound into separate low and high frequency outputs but as you have no pre out anyway it is sort of pointless to look for a crossover.

How did you get the idea in the first place if you have no idea about any of this?
You are asking about Bi-Amping and you had to get the idea somewhere?
Is it just that the speakers have the separate input terminals?

Ed

Unless my eyes deceive me, the Denon says “Pre Out” right in the lower left corner, with L/R and a subwoofer output. So run RCA from L/R out on Denon to the inputs on the Sonance. Disconnect the jumpers on the speakers. Wire the Denon L/R speaker outs to the speaker high terminals, Sonance speaker outs to the speaker low terminals.
Does the Sonance have attenuators (volume control)? If not you may have imbalance between the high and low volume. You can fix that with an equalizer.

Unless my eyes deceive me, the Denon says “Pre Out” right in the lower left corner, with L/R and a subwoofer output. So run RCA from L/R out on Denon to the inputs on the Sonance. Disconnect the jumpers on the speakers. Wire the Denon L/R speaker outs to the speaker high terminals, Sonance speaker outs to the speaker low terminals.
Does the Sonance have attenuators (volume control)? If not you may have imbalance between the high and low volume. You can fix that with an equalizer.

I think your eyes do deceive you!
The Pre Outs say "Surround Back" so they are not pre outs but just rear channel outs.I didn't want to confuse this thing even more but now it may well be?

Ed

I think your eyes do deceive you!
The Pre Outs say "Surround Back" so they are not pre outs but just rear channel outs.I didn't want to confuse this thing even more but now it may well be?

Ed

Ed - Thanks for the clarification. Time to trade my bifocals in for trifocals, I guess. Then again, the Technics has something that looks suspiciously like pre-out/ main-in jumpers, no?

I guess it does?!?
Looks like I need new glasses although this is no new news!

So I suppose he can connect to the new amplifier from the Technics but I would not suggest anything but using it as an alternative amp rather than bi-amping with no crossover,would you?
Seems like the possibility for problems may be big?

I guess it does?!?
Looks like I need new glasses although this is no new news!

So I suppose he can connect to the new amplifier from the Technics but I would not suggest anything but using it as an alternative amp rather than bi-amping with no crossover,would you?
Seems like the possibility for problems may be big?

I don't know about big problems. I tried passive bi-amping for a while. The only problem I found was gain mismatch between the two amps, so that the upper and mid frequencies were playing at a different "volume", so to speak, than the bass. I adjusted for this by running through an eq. I can't say that bi-amping made a night and day improvement though. I think the phrase is "subtle, at best".

So I guess my question was, do I need a crossover.

I realized the Denon said rear surr, but I wasnt sure if that would work as a preout for other speakers than extra rears.

Now that i look at it I guess its just there because that amp wouldnt sufficiently power two additional speakers by itself, thus the reason for the rear preout.

This Denon amp was cheap, I didnt set out looking for this amp, it popped up cheap so I bought it.
The reason I wanted to hook this sonamp to the L/R or H/R is because I assumed it would be cleaner power.
Hence the reason for my question.

AVservice, I appreciate the help but I thought the slogan of this forum was "all audio, no attitude"...
I'm sensing some serious condescension, I'm not an audio genius but I'm not some sort of imbecile.

So I guess my question was, do I need a crossover.
AVservice, I appreciate the help but I thought the slogan of this forum was "all audio, no attitude"...
I'm sensing some serious condescension, I'm not an audio genius but I'm not some sort of imbecile.

Sorry you feel that way I assure you this was not my intent.

Ed

Ma61, there are several current threads about "fool's bi-amping" and bi-amping with passive and active crossovers. Those in the know have been giving pretty much the same advice for the last week. Repetition sometimes makes people a little short.

You do intend addressing the broken binding post on the Sonance first?

Once that's done my first test connection would be to remove the jumpers on the Technics and connect the Sonance to the pre outs and the speakers to the Sonance. It's very likely that it will provide more than enough power for your purposes. If you think you need more or simply want to try bi-amping get an electronic crossover. That would enable you to use the Technic's internal amp and the Sonance simultaneously. The Sonance could drive your woofers and the Technics "amp" could drive the tweeters.

Back
Top Bottom