Question for Dave G. regarding 330K resistors...

Well, you could not have picked a more knowledgeable group with Dave G. et al. Your post made it seem as though you have no knowledge about electronics, it would seem that is not the case. There are many people on youtube that basically have no electronics background trying to fix dangerous tube electronics, and I have more than once had to redo that work from uninformed tinkerers. I would think though that you are beyond that group from your response so this project should not provide much in the way of difficulties in fixing for you. I would try to learn a bit about the questions you asked rahter than just ask for directions, that information will help to serve you well as you continue to bring these old amps back to life, good luck!

The old standard was 220K with a .1uf. It still works and can be used with no problems. However he cautioned against going higher due to possible LF oscillations. The time constant is a little larger but you can't hear the difference unless you get LF Oscillations. Dave did some calculations a few years ago and found .72uf or .73uf (Those numbers stuck for some reason but I can't remember which one. However it's irrelevant to this purpose as no one makes a cap that size.) was the ideal. But due to lack of a cap that size he recommended a 0.68uf or .082uf as the next best value.(At the time both values were fairly new and not widely available and hard to find). As .068uf is closer than .082uf it's a better value to use, although the .082 is good too. No audible difference is discerned, but it will show up on a scope that is sensitive enough.

I don't remember the exact calculation but the resistance multiplied by the cap value sounds like it might be the correct . Lets see if this works.
330K x .047 = 15510 Original Factory Values.
220K x .071= 15620 Ideal replacement but not feasible due to lack of cap value.
220K x .068 = 14960 Closest replacement to the 330K/.047uf. Parts available.
220K x .082 = 18040 Last two values are useable if .068uf aren't available.
220K x .1uf = 22000

Service manual does not state what wattage these grid resistors are. They look smaller than the 1/3 and 1/2 watt resistors. I was about to install 1/2 watt, 220k ohm, will that work?

Just fine. Most of the manuals state (in the fine print) that "unless otherwise specified, resistors are 1/3 watt".........

Dave

This is what I finally did to my Fisher KX200, I was having a bit of a problem with bloated LF in my amp but when I change
to the .068uf caps it went away. Great thread guy's Thank You.

I realize this is an old thread but figured I would ask anyway. In your KX-200 in addition to changing the coupling caps to .68uf did you change the grid resistors? on the KX-200 schematic they show 270K (R51,R52 R57 and R58) and in the x100B they are 82K. I am assuming you just changed the caps and left the resistors alone. Is my assumption correct?

richiem46; in your case, if you have "bloated" Low frequency, you can just change the caps.
The cap/resistor change is for FIXED BIAS ONLY, due to grid resistance parameters by the tube manufacturer's (See datasheet circled in RED) and Fisher going to a higher rated resistance to get more power (even if it was only a watt or two).
Grid resistance:.................................................Fixed Bias 300KΩ MAX......................................... Cathode Bias (also called Self Bias) is 1MEGΩ.
This is also for the 7868, and 6GM5 (Same family).

Clipboard02.jpg

Larry, thanks for your response! So in my KX-200 I do not need to fiddle with the resistors then. I am not sure what bloated bass means specifically. I know that the KX-200 definitely has a more "solid" sound to it than the KX-100. I suppose it is a matter of personal preference on the part of the listener. I may try the .068 caps just to hear the difference.

the values of those caps don't affect frequency response quite as much as you might think they do inside a feedback loop. Yes a smaller cap has a higher cut-off frequency but the feedback system will bump output of the driver to overcome it. Until the cap gets really really small there won't be much measurable effect on frequency response, though at some point the driver is simply not going to have enough snot to overcome the too-small cap acting as a choke point.

Following up I ended up replacing the .047 coupling capacitors the original owner had installed replacing the stock units with .068 uf Oil-filled Russian caps that I had purchased and then never used. I insulated them with heat shrink tubing as they are large and a tight fit under the chassis. I didn't expect much of a change but was pleasantly surprised. The amp sounds better with the caps, more "presence" with the individual instruments easier to distinguish. I was not a believer in "boutique" caps but there was a definite improvement after installing them. There were no brand markings on the ones that I removed but maybe they were suspect though they looked like newer units and their values metered in spec.

Back
Top Bottom