Question for SET users (though anyone may reply)

MikE

Color Me Gone
PROFILE: I've been interested in audio replay since the early 70's. I began upgrading my existing system in 96' and basically have upgraded it twice since. In February I introduced a Moth s45 SET amp IMS and in the four months since have noticed a couple of things. 1>. I really love my system and thrilled I had the nerve to retire my EL34 triode-based VAC for the 45 SET amp. 2>. That the Moth drives my 93db Sonatinas just fine in my 28x19x9' room. 3>. And most importantly, yet strangely (for me) is that I'm MUCH LESS inclined to fiddle with my system. Other than roll tubes (which has as much to do with some fetish I have for vintage valves) I'm not interested in fine-tuning, only listening. If you're not familiar, I'm a big tweak proponent and enjoy that aspect very much but recently not nearly. EX: We recently moved and rather than set up the speakers in the best position I went for a guesstimate of the prior setup and after 40:00 felt it "sounded good enough".

You could say I'm getting lazy, or that after 6 years I finally found something that captures my attention, or does it have something to do with the SET toplology and the 45 output tube, or to what degree is that affecting my state of being? Have any of you SET users found a similar experience to be true? Non-SET users feel free to chime in. I realize four months does not account for a long-term understanding but it's effect seems to be growing, and surprizingly I'm becoming less suspicious the longer I look, listen, think and feel. That's not supposed to happen!

MikE

Well as you know Mike, I am very jealous of your SET amps. Having the nerve to "retire" your EL34 tube is saying a lot. It's a very sweet driver tube. I have speakers rated at 95db and I look forward to the day when I can follow in your foot steps.

But for now I must wait and enjoy my EL34's. I don't mind as my Dynaco is a clasic and well restored. Now with my Thorens table soon to be here I am sure to get some serious reproduction.

Nope Mike, you ain't lazy. You have reached the end of your travels and maybe the most you could do now would be to get a set of full range horns. ohhhh babbbyyy... ;)

Set amps...set amps...hmmm.

Do I fiddle with my system? not often at all. The most I really do do is swap occasional tubes...although it's been a long time since I've done that also...seein' as how I'm happy with my combonation of the TJ 300B, (nos)Sylvania 6sl7gt (chrome domes) and mullard cv378.

Really, all I seem to do now is sit down and listen. What makes SET different? not sure myself. I would think...maybe...maybe...presentation and tone...not sure.

However, I don't think "this" sound is limited to only set tube amps...or even tube amps in general. If you get an amp/speaker combo that really matches well together I think you will achieve what MikE has found. Not all speakers sound good with SETs...not all with tube...not all with SS. Well, you get the idea. How do you measure all the aspects of reproduced sound? I don't know myself. I've heard people say that the "sounddstage" is within the recording...yet I can change one tube and not only get a totally diffrent soundstage...but also a different presentation. This can also be seen when swapping different SS amps...yet I don't know where to look for a "soundstage" spec at.

ok...ok...I'm startin' ta ramble off topic now. But, my point is...you must buy an amp that works well with your speakers...and vice-versa.

side note- I may be looking into a PP45 diy amp...still not sure. this will of course be after the speakers are done (which at the moment are going slow :( )

take care>>>>>

WWman

I'm posting a link to a thread on AA, where there was some interesting discussion with this identical post. There were your expected recommendations, and in one reply I touched apon enjoying "where ever WE might be at on the road to find out". Hopefully that may be some comfort to you as travel toward SETville.

MikE

Last edited:
I have been into tubes for quite a while and had gone through Dynaco into Scott and finally decided I liked the Fisher 400 reciever as the best bang for the buck. I got under the hood and gave it a tune up and it ran better and cooler. My speakers are a pair of early Shahinian Obelisks which are around 92 db efficiant, I made my own speaker cables got a better CD player (actually DVD/HDCD) and then went to the "High End" store and listened to the best of the new. Top of the line Krell power, Mac pre, 10K snake oil cables and the top of the line B&Ws and a very expensive CD player with a HDCD to listen to. Sounded good! Went home and and mine sounded as good or better. Very pleased with the whole deal. Then I was asked to listen to a pair of SE 6BQ5 mono blocks and write a review on them. 3 watts and I was blown away. The difference was amazing. Detail, sound stage, everything! Voice was incredable! Thing is I had listened to the amps before I brought them home. Liked them but no big deal as I was used to hearing great sound there. Putting the SE into my system was when I could tell. Magic. I now have a 300B stereo amp, the Fisher is in the bedroom still sounding great. The 300B has the power the 6BQ5 lacked and much more bass. It is not the watts but the caps. SE is great, but you have to get it into your system before you can really tell the difference.

SET Magic

Right on! I agree wholeheartedly about your two points: 1>. That equipment must be listened to IYS to be understood / appreciated. 2>. That SET does so many things right that once heard (in a complimentary system) it is difficult (impossible?) to go back. My prior system retailed for about 25k and I had a hard time relaxing and just enjoying music, then I traded my VAC EL34 triode PP amp for a Moth SET 45 amp and with this one change I now completely lose myself in the music, listening to entire albums without critiqueing the system in the process. My analytic nature has become arrested - good!

Like yourself, I've got a killer retail store down the street but I ALWAYS prefer My system to anything they may have: Krell, Wilson, ProAc, Spectral, B&W, Theta, Thiel. Some of that gear is pretty decent stuff, too bad they compose or set it up so poorly. That is a huge advantage we have, we assemble our system to satisfy US, and do so with loving care. What is the objective of the retailor? To sell or seduce?

Another excellant post, keep them coming!

MikE

You guys are really helping inspire me to get cooking and make my 805 SE amp. Trouble is I just can't find the time. Yesterday my students were here and we put up a rado telescope. I spent most of the afternoon driving the loader in the hot sun. By the end of the day I was so dogged depleted that I had a shower and then became part of the chair in front of my horns for a whole CD. Those P-P UL 6CA7's will be a tough amp to beat IMO. Do I want to try? You bet! :zoom:

Rob

Back
Top Bottom