Question for Technics Linear owners and former owners.

glmark

I currently have a Technics sl-J2 which sounds almost fantastic to my ears but I do hear some motor noise when things are real quiet (which isn't all that often). I'm considering upgrading but would hate to spend up to $500 to find little improvement. I am considering the new Fluance RT-85 for $500 or vintage which in my area could be a Technics SL-1600 $225, a Pioneer Pl-516 $200, Technics SL-1300 (serviced) $320 or a Pioneer PL-530 (serviced) $400. Would I notice a significant upgrade in sound with one of these? Which do you think would offer the most bang for the buck. Thanks.

Buy the Technics SL-1600 if in nice condition and working well. The best of the lot, the SL-1300 being serviced is also a nice one (especially the simpler original model). These also give you a full selection of cartridge choices (which your T4p mount linear does not), the motor on them in good order is silent. They sound superb, and are well built and easier maintained and repaired. On Pioneer, I prefer the PL-518 to most anything else they built (simple nicely built DD auto-return).

Do you like linear tables? If so, I would suggest looking at a Technics SL-7 or SL-10. I owned both in my pre Thorens days, and was amazed at their performance and sound. But I was really lucky and found a Shure V15 LT cart to install on them. Which made a world of difference sound wise. As a pure Thorens table lover, I can honestly say that I would not pass on a Technics SL-7 or 10 if the price was right. I'd find a place for it somewhere in my stable.

I also have a SL-J2 which I regularly setup and use. I'm a nuts and bolts person who is fascinated by the mechanisms in a LT turntable. I accept that it probably isn't the best sounding TT that I have but I've never been able to tell the difference because I've never done a good side by side comparison. The sl-j2 is near the BOTL as far as Technics LT's. You've got the itch to get a better TT so you may as well go for it. But hang on to the LT. That's my opinion.

Buy the Technics SL-1600 if in nice condition and working well. The best of the lot, the SL-1300 being serviced is also a nice one (especially the simpler original model). These also give you a full selection of cartridge choices (which your T4p mount linear does not), the motor on them in good order is silent. They sound superb, and are well built and easier maintained and repaired. On Pioneer, I prefer the PL-518 to most anything else they built (simple nicely built DD auto-return).
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you would choose vintage over the Fluance then.

Do you like linear tables? If so, I would suggest looking at a Technics SL-7 or SL-10. I owned both in my pre Thorens days, and was amazed at their performance and sound. But I was really lucky and found a Shure V15 LT cart to install on them. Which made a world of difference sound wise. As a pure Thorens table lover, I can honestly say that I would not pass on a Technics SL-7 or 10 if the price was right. I'd find a place for it somewhere in my stable.
I do like my linears. I have two Kenwoods as well which when I put the cartridge from the Technics on actually sounded better than the SL-J2, until the volume went up then it howled. I'm considering mounting my speakers on the wall to see if that will help. The J2 picks it up a litlle. I think I would love an S10 but $400+ on ebay makes me a little nervous to pull the trigger and buy.

I also have a SL-J2 which I regularly setup and use. I'm a nuts and bolts person who is fascinated by the mechanisms in a LT turntable. I accept that it probably isn't the best sounding TT that I have but I've never been able to tell the difference because I've never done a good side by side comparison. The sl-j2 is near the BOTL as far as Technics LT's. You've got the itch to get a better TT so you may as well go for it. But hang on to the LT. That's my opinion.
Do you notice any noise, rumble during quiet moments or between songs?

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you would choose vintage over the Fluance then.

I did recently do just that last month. I chose a Technics SL-1500 over getting a new turntable of lesser quality or having to save up another $800 or more for a new Technics. I need at least one manual turntable around. I have the Pioneer PL 518 when I want automatic return.

Last edited:
Do you hear motor noise through the speakers, or from the table?

If from the table, and it's the arm motor, there's not a whole lot you can do about this besides make sure it's well lubricated and the belt is correct. Cheap linear trackers tend to make noise from the arm motor.

If it's through the speakers, and what you're hearing is rumble from the platter, it could mean your bearing needs service, or it could also mean you're at the limits of what they player can do.

So far as linear trackers go, a higher end one like a Pioneer PL-L1000, or a Yamaha PX-3 will sound better than many of the Technics models (especially the close and play models), and does a smoother job of moving the arm. The linear motor in my Pioneer PL-L800 is always dead silent, and it performs flawlessly. The belt in a Yamaha is kind of trouble prone, but also works great.

The thing about linear players is while they all basically do the same thing, there's different ways to do it, and some work better than others. The cheap ones have shortcomings, and you can't really tell how good they are with specs alone.

By specs alone, the Technics SL-3 I have should be a very good sounding record player - but it just isn't, it sounds terrible and cheap. I don't really even know why it's so bad, but it is.

I do like my linears. I have two Kenwoods as well which when I put the cartridge from the Technics on actually sounded better than the SL-J2, until the volume went up then it howled. I'm considering mounting my speakers on the wall to see if that will help. The J2 picks it up a litlle. I think I would love an S10 but $400+ on ebay makes me a little nervous to pull the trigger and buy.

The Technics SL-1600 has an adjustable suspension that would virtually eliminate the feedback. :thumbsup:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-1600.shtml

Most of the Technics linear trackers make noise when the arm carriage motor runs. It's only audible between tracks for the most part, although I had one you could hear running from across the room as it tried to keep up with an off-center pressing. I'd go for a standard vintage table as others have recommended.

Might be worth lubing the platter bearing, cleaning the arm guide and replacing the arm belt if you haven't yet. These things aren't immune from noise, but it is old and if it hasn't had any service in the last couple of decades it will appreciate it.

I kinda dig the close and play linear trackers. Maybe not the best machine in the world but they sound good and there is something kinda fun about them.

Do you hear motor noise through the speakers, or from the table?

If from the table, and it's the arm motor, there's not a whole lot you can do about this besides make sure it's well lubricated and the belt is correct. Cheap linear trackers tend to make noise from the arm motor.

I.

It comes through the speakers.

Might be worth lubing the platter bearing, cleaning the arm guide and replacing the arm belt if you haven't yet. These things aren't immune from noise, but it is old and if it hasn't had any service in the last couple of decades it will appreciate it.

I kinda dig the close and play linear trackers. Maybe not the best machine in the world but they sound good and there is something kinda fun about them.

I'll give it a try.

Go for a Technics SL-5 linear. It got favorable reviews when it came out in 1983. The ones I've played with sounded very good, even with a so-so cartridge.

Agree with all points above! Mine is my service bench tt, I use it for testing amps I repair.

if its just runout area that may be just something on the record itself. Not a bunch of care is put into making that area silent.

Back
Top Bottom