Question for Vandersteen owners

gsilliman

Hi,

Still new to AK, but very appreciative of the knowledge base here. Have a question(s) directed at Vandersteen owners.

Much of what I have read about Vandersteen's is that their placement and setup is more/less critical for getting the most out of them. My question, is how critical? One might say, isn't critical self explanatory, but is it critical in the sense of getting the most out of them to their fullest potential, or is it critical in them sounding good at all?

Say if they were set up in a large(ish), open room, but with half wall dividers, would model 2s or even model 1s be poorly set up if they were only a foot or 18 inches off the half wall (keeping in mid the remaining space is open)? Even if this setup wasn't optimal, would they be worth using in this space for the moment and set up in a more optimal spot later (wife approving of course)?

Any help from current/previous Vandersteen owners (Model 1s or 2s) is appreciated.

Thanks

Other than making sure that they have enough room in the back to "breathe," I have done little to optimize the positions of my 2C Vandersteens. Lately I did place a sheet of non-skid shelf liner between each and its stand, and filled the stands with scrap granite.

Other than making sure that they have enough room in the back to "breathe," I have done little to optimize the positions of my 2C Vandersteens. Lately I did place a sheet of non-skid shelf liner between each and its stand, and filled the stands with scrap granite.
Great - thanks for the response. In terms of "breathing room" do you have more than 18 inches between the rear face and the wall? Thanks

I think at the very least, to get the most out of them at a minimum, follow the instruction manual that is for the specific model you have or look to get, and if you have further questions, generally Vandersteen is good at answering them. Do you have to follow that to get enjoyment out of it, I doubt it, but like most things, it certainly can pay to get things sorted as well as possible! Everyone's mileage varies with any of this. Have fun and enjoy!

Great - thanks for the response. In terms of "breathing room" do you have more than 18 inches between the rear face and the wall? Thanks

From the backs of the 2C's to the wall is just about 31 inches. It may interest you to know what amp of mine sounded best, so here is a list of what I have used:

Aiwa micro-component amp
two Aiwa micro-component amps, bridged to mono
Yamaha DSP-A2070
Arcam Delta 60
Proton AA-1150, with a Superphon pre
Cyrus 2 with PSX
Luxman A-007
Denon POA-2200

The winner? The modestly-powered Luxman - it is sweet, with lush vocals and great bass. Yes, it's a Jensen-era ugly duckling, but it's staying mated to the Vandersteens for a long time, I think.

Much of what I have read about Vandersteen's is that their placement and setup is more/less critical for getting the most out of them. My question, is how critical? One might say, isn't critical self explanatory, but is it critical in the sense of getting the most out of them to their fullest potential, or is it critical in them sounding good at all?

Say if they were set up in a large(ish), open room, but with half wall dividers, would model 2s or even model 1s be poorly set up if they were only a foot or 18 inches off the half wall (keeping in mid the remaining space is open)? Even if this setup wasn't optimal, would they be worth using in this space for the moment and set up in a more optimal spot later (wife approving of course)?

Any help from current/previous Vandersteen owners (Model 1s or 2s) is appreciated.
I've only owned 1C's, but I found them to sound at least good no matter what, though in my case it was using a 25 watt NAD receiver, no bases, and crammed into a small bedroom. They really didn't sound bad at all, though they had a lot more to offer in the living room, on bases, properly angled and spaced for the distance and height of the listening position, and with better electronics (Audio by Van Alstine). I no longer remember the exact distances, but I do remember that one reason I preferred the smaller model to the 2C was that they sounded better when closer to the back wall.

One of the things I liked about the buying process, though, was the willingness of my dealer to let me take his floor models home to try out in my own space. Kind of takes the guesswork out of it a bit. Have you asked your dealer about an in-home demonstration to see how they'll work for you?

I've only owned 1C's, but I found them to sound at least good no matter what, though in my case it was using a 25 watt NAD receiver, no bases, and crammed into a small bedroom. They really didn't sound bad at all, though they had a lot more to offer in the living room, on bases, properly angled and spaced for the distance and height of the listening position, and with better electronics (Audio by Van Alstine). I no longer remember the exact distances, but I do remember that one reason I preferred the smaller model to the 2C was that they sounded better when closer to the back wall.

One of the things I liked about the buying process, though, was the willingness of my dealer to let me take his floor models home to try out in my own space. Kind of takes the guesswork out of it a bi Have you asked your dealer about an in-home demonstration to see how they'll work for you?
Thanks for the response - and good to know in the 1Cs. I am looking on the used market right now and weighing whether these would work in a. my current space, and b. in a new space with a little more flexibility (wife permitting). Nearest dealer is about 4-5 hours away unfortunately

I have 1Bs and they are currently setup in a room in a 13 by 20 room in which my seating position is the middle of the room (open floor design functioning as a combo living and dining room). The speakers are around 18 to 24 inches from the back wall and 4 feet apart (about 4 to 5 feet from the side walls). Like you, my initial concern with this setup was that my seating position was in the middle of the room so there would be insufficient bass. For the music I mainly listen to (acoustic jazz), it sounds great however when playing rock music I would like more bass. But keep in mind that this speaker never was good with rock music.

15 years ago and using better amp and turntable, I had the speakers in a smaller 10 by 10 room and I feel that the speakers sound better in its current location. I think that this is due to the larger distance the speakers are from the side walls. In the 10 by 10 room, the speakers were less than 2 feet from the side walls.

Anyway, I would recommend the 1Bs if you 1) listen to mainly acoustic music, 2) your listening chair is located in the sweet spot, and 3) you value speakers that presents a good soundstage over speakers with dynamic impact. If you listen to rock or other electronic music with lot of bass, I would not recommend them.

I have had 1B and 2c. I traded the 2c for Polk SDA1a's. No regrets. I find the Polks are less critical for placement. I agree though, the Model 1b is less critical for placement, then the 2c.

Thanks for the replies - I appreciate the perspective. Pyong 272 - that's the first I've heard someone remark that the Vandys are poor speakers for rock, but that makes sense if the don't have the dynamic range. Not having heard them, I'm basing my opinion on reviews. They're usually on those lists of "best value" speakers but even so they can have limitations.

I have the 2ce Signature ii’s and have had them for a few years now, I spoke to Richard on the phone and asked about placement and amplification and he told me this (Go by the chart that is listed in there website and get them dialed in a close as you can per the chart , make sure you have the base which is critical in getting the speaker decoupled from the floor and the proper angle dialed in . Lastly give those speakers the most Watts you can afford the more the better .

The first year I owned them I was getting frustrated because I had dialed them in perfectly to my room (14x16) as per the Vandersteen instructions. Then I turned my attention to the amp , I started with about 100wpc and went through a handful of different ones before I ended up with a 305wpc that did the trick . I do not know if I will ever part with these speakers as currently they sound so good and do everything right (real chest thumping bass as well) that they will more than likely just be put aside to rotate another set in, in the future .

So my point in all this is , take time with Vandersteen to match the appropriate gear with them and get them positioned properly and you will most likely be rewarded , the problem with allot of people with Vandersteens though is they don’t have the patience to do so .

Audiofreak71

I have the 2ce Signature ii’s and have had them for a few years now, I spoke to Richard on the phone and asked about placement and amplification and he told me this (Go by the chart that is listed in there website and get them dialed in a close as you can per the chart , make sure you have the base which is critical in getting the speaker decoupled from the floor and the proper angle dialed in . Lastly give those speakers the most Watts you can afford the more the better .

The first year I owned them I was getting frustrated because I had dialed them in perfectly to my room (14x16) as per the Vandersteen instructions. Then I turned my attention to the amp , I started with about 100wpc and went through a handful of different ones before I ended up with a 305wpc that did the trick . I do not know if I will ever part with these speakers as currently they sound so good and do everything right (real chest thumping bass as well) that they will more than likely just be put aside to rotate another set in, in the future .

So my point in all this is , take time with Vandersteen to match the appropriate gear with them and get them positioned properly and you will most likely be rewarded , the problem with allot of people with Vandersteens though is they don’t have the patience to do so .

Audiofreak71
Yeah, proper placement and plenty of power - seems to be a common thread. May not be the new speaker for me then. Thanks a lot

Follow-up question - how are the Vandy 1Cs at lower volumes? The other consideration is I rarely turn past the 9 o'clock position, which is plenty in the room my current set up is in. Should I be looking towards ADS or vintage Klipsch instead?

Back
Top Bottom